Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 9, 2007, 12:56 PM   #1

i'm pretty ignorant when it comes to what's out there these days.. just to give you an example, the camera i have now is a Olympus D-560 (old by todays standards)..

i'm looking for a camera that will actually take a photo very fast (unlike my Oly D-560 which seems to takes 2-3 seconds once you hit the button).

will the Canon A570camera do this? (take a photo as soon as you hit the button?)

i go to Yosemite a lot and love taking pictures, i also like to take photos of my grandkids, so i was hoping that (unlike my old camera), this camera would also allow me to blow up the photo so i could make some nice pictures to put on my walls.

i take LOTS of photos (probably as many as 150 when i go to Yosemite, so another question is: what kind of memory card will i need to get with this camera?

any in put on what you DON'T like about the camera would be appreciated (not to mention what you really LIKE about it).

thank you

forrestranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2007, 2:03 PM   #2

You might want to take a look at the Canon A-570IS as well. It has all the features of the A-550 plus Image Stabilization.

Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 6:59 PM   #3

The A570is offers very good value. It's fairly quick in terms of sutter lag and shot to shot speed. You just don't read any reviews that criticize it for start up speed, shot to shot speed, or shutter lag. The SD800 might be a tad faster in terms of operations. The one area in whichthe 570 isnot very fast is flash recycle time. That's basically a function of it's use of 2 AA batteries. The flash is also not real powerful. It's fine for the occassional "people picture" within range, but it'll take a few seconds to recycle between flash shots. If you're taking lots of flash pictures it might not be the optimal choice, though you can buy an external flash that will give the kind of light needed to really light up a room.
SkiHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2007, 12:22 PM   #4

If you want REAL value, then you ought to take a look at the Fuji S-700. No, it is not an ultra compact shirt pocket camera. Instead is is a very small compact camera that can easily take one handed shots and it takes SD and XD cards.

It is a great family camera that offers REAL value! It is selling right around the $(US) 200.00 range, and the photo samples that i have seen look great.

Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote