Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 9, 2007, 9:30 PM   #1

Hi there. I am trying to decide which DSLR to get my wife and it has come down to the Canon Rebel XTi and the Nikon D40x. I am struggling with the decision. I lean toward the Nikon because she seems to like the feel of it better, and it seems to have better construction. Also, we have heard that Nikon makes better lenses than Canon. The Canon however, has the new dust sensor cleaning process (I don't know if dust on your sensor is a common problem or not) which seems like a big plus. It also has the 9 focal points in the viewfinder vs. 3. However, every Rebel XTi that I have tried, it seems that the viewfinder is much blurrier than the Nikon and the LCD screen is nowhere near as crisp in its resolution. I have spoken to owners of each, and they love their respective cameras. Can anybody give me an argument for one over the other?

Thanks.
gahsmanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2007, 10:02 PM   #2

gahsmanc wrote:
Quote:
I am trying to decide which DSLR to get my wife...I lean toward the Nikon because she seems to like the feel of it better ...
Are you new to this "marriage" thing? :lol:

If she likes the D40x, GET HER THE D40x!

To be sure, if you were asking for yourself, the first question I'd ask is "Which one feels better to you?"

If it doesn't feel right, she won't use it (or won't use it as often as she might)(or won't enjoy using it as much as she might.)

Plus, everytime she talks to her friends about the camera, she'll start off with "Well, I really liked the Nikon D40x, but my husband thought I should have this instead." How often do you want to hear that? :lol:
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 10:24 PM   #3

Lol...well that is true, but she is also very practical and is very worried about the dust on the sensor thing. She truly can't make a decision on this one.
gahsmanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 11:19 PM   #4

gahsmanc wrote:
Quote:
... we have heard that Nikon makes better lenses than Canon.
Not so. There are four companies that make the best lenses in the world: Canon, Nikon, Zeiss and Leica.

gahsmanc wrote:
Quote:
The Canon however, has the new dust sensor cleaning process (I don't know if dust on your sensor is a common problem or not) which seems like a big plus.
If you don't change lenses much, you won't have much problem with dust on the sensor. If you only change lenses in relatively clean environments, you won't have much problem with dust on the sensor.

For the causal photographer that takes a reasonable amount of care, I think this shouldn't be an issue.

gahsmanc wrote:
Quote:
It also has the 9 focal points in the viewfinder vs. 3.
Actually, there's a good topic on that right now. Under "What camera should I buy?", see the topic entitled "Nikon D40 (3point focus)."

gahsmanc wrote:
Quote:
However, every Rebel XTi that I have tried, it seems that the viewfinder is much blurrier than the Nikon ...
They both use pentamirrors, so they're dimmer and more prone to misalignment that dSLRs with pentaprisms, but I can't say why one would be brighter than the other. Perhaps it was more a funtion of the lens each was using at the time, than the cameras themselves.

gahsmanc wrote:
Quote:
... and the LCD screen is nowhere near as crisp in its resolution.
They both have 2.5 inch, 230,000 pixel displays, so I can't help here either.

gahsmanc wrote:
Quote:
Can anybody give me an argument for one over the other?
How about this.

The D40x doesn't have it's own autofocus motor, so it can only autofocus with lenses that have their own motors. Of the 45 Nikkor lenses currently available, only 23 will autofocus on the D40x. And of the 49 Sigma lenses lenses currently available, only 17 will autofocus on the D40x. To be sure, the Nikkor lenses for the D40x seem to be fine lenses that are resonably priced, but the Sigma lenses, while of high quality, are some of the more expensive in their product line. The Canon will autofocus with any of their 62 lenses, as well as any of Sigma's 45 lenses, Tamron's 19, and Tokina's 6. And that doesn't include the vast collection of discontinued lenses available in the used market.That's a much better selection than the D40x has.

Now, if you can ccomfortably confine your choice oflenses to those available for the D40x, then this won't be an issue.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 11:38 PM   #5

If size/weight/dust are important, have her look at the Olympus E-410 and E-510. The E-410 is the smallest/lightest dSLR available, with better kit lenses than the others, and the only proven dust-reduction system. The E-510 is a bit bigger, but has in-body image stabilization, and is about $100 more.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote