Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 12, 2007, 3:37 PM   #21

Nies-

The Fuji S-700 arrived this morning, and I want to post the first picture from this rather amazing camera. The S-700 is indeed smaller than the Canon S-3IS and the Sony H-5. So that is pleasing as well.

This photo was taken at the camera's full default settings just as it came out of the box. So that is Programed Auto, and Auto Flash. The flash is called I-Flash by Fuji. That means that the S-700 attempts to balance the existing light and the flash output. The result is quite sharp and very pleasing. And yes, the I-Flash did indeed work rather nicely. Notice that there is no harsh shadow behind my husband's head.

This camera is called the S-5700 in some other parts of the world. Here in the USA it is sell for $(US) 200.00, and it is targeted to be an enthusiast or Family camera. It is capable of wonderful macro shots, excellent video, and ISO settings up to ISO 1600. This may indeed be a possible camera for you, as it really seems to exceed the capabilities of the Kodak Z-612 by a significant margin.

Sarah

Sarah

Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 4:23 PM   #22

Nies07 wrote:
Quote:
Oh yes, I meant the Z612.
I understood Steve in a way, that the z612 is better than the z712 can this be?
Steve liked the Z612 more than the P712 (at least one other reviewer's results were consistant with Steve's.) The P712 uses a different lens, different focusingsystem and different programming on the CPU. Steve has not tested the Z712 but it appears to have the same lens as the Z612. Obviously the sensor's different (and I suspect different from the P712) and the CPU is different from both.

I have direct experience with the Z612 and it has delivered the level of performance I expected based on specs. and the reviews I read, including Steve's. I have not yet seen any independent reviews of the Z712 but I have seen a number user posted photos and it appears to my eye that it is at least as good as the Z612. Only a limited number of high ISO photos have been posted so I can't tell how good a job Kodak has done in that area. If they've improved that area (not just higher numbers but in image quality) it would be a clear advancement over the Z612 and easily worth the extra $50.

It is not a given that a newer model has better image quality than the one it replaces, witness the Sony H9 vs. H2/H5 and the Olympus SP550UZ vs. SP510. Based on what I've seen so far the Z712 is at least as good as the Z612 and adds an auto panoramic function.

I recognize this is not an entirelyclear cut answer on the Z712 and we won't have one until we see independent reviews. Unless of course someone wants to loan me a Z712 and I'll do comparison tests.:-)

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 4:49 PM   #23

ac-

I own two Kodak Z-612 camera. I purchased my first one the week the Z-612 came out. Yes, the Z-612 is a great camera. However, we have to admit that any photos at ISO 200 and greater, show BOTH some color degradation and noise.

I sincerely believe that the new Fuji S-700 will not only have better high ISO capabilities, but it seems to be optically better as well. Here is another sample photo from the S-700. Notice the great amount of fine detail in the feathers on the seagull's back.

Sarah
Attached Images

Old Jun 13, 2007, 11:00 AM   #24

mtc climber that pic is amazing!

i feel like i'm getting closer to a new cam but one thing...

the kodak has image stabilisation, but i didn't find anything about that point about the fuji...does steve has a review on it? i didn't find one either.

or in clear words: is the image stabilisation so effective that it'll be better to get the kodakt even if the pics are better with the fuji?

Nies07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 11:02 AM   #25

sry that was one to much ^^

Old Jun 13, 2007, 11:14 AM   #26

Nies-

To have or not to have IS is a purely personal decision. The Fuji S-5700/S-700 does not have IS, in placeFuji has a system that will automatically increase the ISO setting, thus increasing the shutter speed.

I have been taking photos for more than 50 years, and I use both types (IS equipped and Not IS equipped)of cameras all the time without any difficulty at all.

The Kodak Z-612 and the newer Z-712 do have IS.

Sarah
Old Jun 13, 2007, 4:08 PM   #27

mm...that's so hard to decide you know...

how big is the difference in pic quality? if you were in my situation, which cam would you buy?

i'd probably should look at both of them in a shop...but because my ixus blurs so easily i'maffraid a camera without is could have the same problem.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 5:20 PM   #28

nies-

I would love to give you an answer, but I have no knowledge of your photographic background at all. Perhaps your current camera blurs because it is so small. The slightly larger Fuji S-5700/S-700 camera with a bit more weight and mass might could eliminate the blurring.

The wisest thing would be to handle the camera in a shop and be sure to take along a SD card on which you can record your sample shots. Then view those shots on your computer and determine if there was any blurring in them.

Keep in mind, no matter whether your camera has IS or not, your responsibility as the photographer is to keep the camera rock steady when you depress the shutter release. Here is another S-5700/S-700 photo sample.

Sarah
Attached Images

Old Jun 14, 2007, 10:57 AM   #29

your pictures seem fantastic...but i dont know if i can do photos like that.
did you use a tripod?

could you take a samplepicture with full zoom and one inside without flash and tripod?
that'll be great!

and thx for the tip, i'll go to a shop and take a look this weekend!
Old Jun 14, 2007, 11:38 AM   #30

Nies-

The photo of the camera with the slave flash was taken handheld. Here is a photo sample with the S-5700/S-700 camera at it full 10X optical zoom. The women were on the beach below our house. I estimate the distance from the camera to the women on the beach at 350 feet. I was please with the detail and sharpness of the image. Neither of these two photos ( the close-up and the 10X shot)were taken on a tripod.

Camera handling is a learned skill, I am sure that you can take photos just like mine if you make the effort.

Sarah
Attached Images