Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 14, 2007, 11:46 AM   #31

Nies-

Here is an informal portrait of me taken in our living room yesterday morning. My husband took the photo. It was taken in the P for Programed Auto Mode using a ISO setting of Auto(400). This setting allows the S-5700 to set the the ISOautomatically by itself, but limits the maximum ISO to 400. The WB (White Balance) was set to cloudy as the photo was taken inside.

Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 12:04 PM   #32

Deleted, not relevent, sorry.

ac
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 4:04 PM   #33

your pics are making the fuji look better and better to me, they are so awesome!
i definitely have to take a look at it in a shop at the weekend! my holiday is getting closer, and i hope to get fantastic pics.

thank you for all your help so far! i really know more now.

i'll look atthe fuji and the koakand then tell you my experiences and thx again!!
Nies07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2007, 5:03 PM   #34

Hello again!
I finally was able to take a look at some cameras

I saw the Kodak and was very pleased by it's size! I imagined it to be a lot bigger.

But the seller told me I shouldn't go for the kodak and put 100 euros more to get a better camera, because it's not good indoors.

That confused me a bit, but now I definitly know I need a camera with is. i tried another kodak without it and pics with full zoom weren't usable.

Well...to me the Kodak seemed quite good, but since you and now the seller weren't talking so good about it i'm very unsure.
A Canon or Fuji so should be a better way to go for, but unfortunatley i couldn't take a look and one with is.

do you have any suggestions for that? (oh and it'll be great if it wouldn'd be more than 250 euros ^^)

Old Jun 23, 2007, 5:17 PM   #35

Nies-

What Kodak are we speaking of, please? The Kodak Z-612 and the recently introduced Z-712 have received excellent user reviews. The Kodak Z-612 is one of Steve's Best Cameras.

However, the Z-612 does fine inside with flash but does not produce good photos without flash.

The Z-712 is new and I have only seen one preview of it. I have found seval users who claim that it has excellent lowlight level/high ISO capabilities. It has ISO settings up to 1600.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 24, 2007, 3:27 PM   #36

I meant the z612. I read some reviews in he meantime...most of them were quite good...right now I'm thignking about buying that one, also because it has a very good price. I don't know if it's worth to put more money and get the 712.

steve's review of the 612 is quite good, and it's sample pics seem good to me at iso 400. what do you think? if the 712 is better in low light i'd better go for this one...
Old Jun 24, 2007, 10:09 PM   #37

I've been searching for Z712 pictures and the only high ISO I've seen have been at 1600. They didn't look very good but I'm most interested in ISO 400 and 800 and I haven't seen any at those speeds. I did see some comparisons of the Z612 at ISO 400 vs. the Sony H2/H5 and Canon S3 at 320 and it bested those in my opinion.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:15 AM   #38

Nies-

The Kodak Z-712 is substantially better at high ISO settings than the Z-612 which is limited. Here is a sample test photo I took this afternoon at ISO 640 and it is virtually noise free.

Sarah Joyce

Old Jun 25, 2007, 11:20 AM   #39

I have some understanding problems...

a.c are you saying that the 612 is better then sony and canon?
do you think the difference between 612 and 712 is huge?

mtclimber that means, that you can take pictures without flash with better quality right?would you prefer the 612 or 712 (concerning price-value)?

thx!

Old Jun 25, 2007, 4:24 PM   #40

Nies07 wrote:
Quote:
I have some understanding problems...

a.c are you saying that the 612 is better then sony and canon?
do you think the difference between 612 and 712 is huge?

mtclimber that means, that you can take pictures without flash with better quality right?would you prefer the 612 or 712 (concerning price-value)?

thx!

That's exactly what Sarah means. Essentially, based on her tests the Z712 has at least a 1 stop advantage in low light/no flash situations, maybe more. Whether that is a huge difference depends on how much you shoot under those conditions and the value you place on those pictures.

Which is the best valuenot onlydepends on the value you personally place on shooting in low light/no flash situationsbut alsothe value you place on being able to do in-camera panoramic shots. I did not have those choices when I bought my Z612 as the Z712 had not even been announced. Now, if I can just convince my wife that my Z612 is the perfect camera for her I'll buy a Z712 as the replacement. In the mean time I'll continue using my Z612 at every opportunity

There is a web site that offers comparison test shots on a wide range of camera. All shots are indoors and in auto mode.Having looked at most of the available test shots of the superzoomcameras on that site it is apparent that there are testing artifacts that prevent the tests from being taken at face value. The testphotos for the Z612 compared tothose Canon S3 and the Sony H2/H5 where superior. I would not say, however that the Z612 was superior to those cameras as I can see enough of the testing artifacts to cloud the results. Surely the Z612 belongs in the same quality class as the S3/H2/H5 and, no surprise all of them are on Steve's Best Camera list.

For your amusement here is the site: http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=1