Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 11, 2007, 10:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Well so be it..... some just always want their Mecedes for no real sensible reason.....
Lets Be reasonable here Hayward, that is no short of plain company bashing.

I stillagree that theOP should know his choices though.
monx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 10:42 AM   #12

monx wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
Well so be it..... some just always want their Mecedes for no real sensible reason.....
Lets Be reasonable here Hayward, that is no short of plain company bashing.

I stillagree that theOP should know his choices though.
But it is interesting.....

Canon and Nikon have done NOTHING (but Nikon lowering D-200 cost) since P K-10D introduction.

And again many here say no way (may be eating thier words shortly) but I think C&N atre truely scared by Pentax and now SONY and OLYMPUS jumping on the body IS band wagon ..... ALL their competition they can NOT just ignore it....

Or the two of them will go totally pro? (where there are tax write off and more money than god) and just dump the ccnsumer side as far as SLR's go... I really doubt that.....

But C&N definately have a real conundrum to deal with if on the consumer level they want ot continue. Like they are just going to letj Pentax, Olympus and SONY just RUN OVER them for The cost effective CONSUMER level BODY IS.

Well oddly so far they are and GIVING them the market.... VS rediculous per lens IS COST , vs SR workes on any lense manual or AF ever made fore Pentax..... hmmm don't have as much money as GOD.... guess which sides that choice is likely to fall....

And agains ALL C&N's competition all in a much more economical Body SR SOLID row in front of them.

And as far as I am concerned the Pentax K10D is the Canon 40D that never was or has yet been.

Canon and Nikon have just been dozing a bit to long now.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 12:27 PM   #13

A couple of things come to mind with your second post:

First, it is rarely a good thing to wait for the next camera to come out. Think of all the time lost learning your new system and all those photos lost because you waited.

Second, my main topics are landscapes, flowers and other nature things, with a bit of everything else thrown in. I happen to have two camera bodies (lazy about changing lenses, though hiking 10 miles yesterday with a backpack full of camera equipment could get me to "revisit" this issue), one a 6 mp and one a 10 mp. While the 10 mp comes in handy for birds and butterflies (allows for more cropping), it does not necessarily mean a better picture, especially if you are doing panoramics. I've taken lots of outstanding pictures with the 6 mp camera - I can take two full-frame pictures (taken with the same lens), reduce them to fit here, and you wouldn't be able to tell which was taken with a 10 mp camera and which with the 6 mp. I just happen to be a fan of the 6 mp sensor. While the 10 mp sensor does tend to be a bit noisier than the 6 mp sensor, the difference isn't huge. Often the difference in noisebetween cameras (especially between Nikon, Sony and Pentax, which use similar,perhaps the same?, sensor) is due to how the cameras go about reducing the noise - Sony seems to do the least noise reduction, while Nikon does the most (noise reduction can affect how much detail is in a picture - take a really noisy picture then run it through one of the noise reduction software programs, playing with the settings and you'll see what I mean). Some people will be happy to give up the extra detail, while others would rather have a bit more noise - it's a matter of personal preference. It's not that big of a deal to me - I prefer to shoot raw.

Third, the advice to look at the lens offerings is a good one. A medocre lens on the best camera in the world will give you a mediocre picture. An excellent lens on a less expensive camera can easily give you outstanding pictures. More expensive cameras are often more expensive because they give you more bells and whistles, not because they give you better image quality. My advice to anyone is to save on the camera body and buy the best glass you can afford.

Lastly, ergonomics play a really huge part with choosing a dSLR, more so than image quality (since all of them can take outstanding pictures). Think about how heavy a camera you are willing to have around your neck, and for how long (my reference above about the 10 mile hike yesterday wasn't an idle comment). Are the controls easy to reach? Can you see clearly through the viewfinder (some are better than others, and might or might not affect your choice)? If you wish to change a variable (aperture, shutter speed, ISO) can you see the change easily and how it affects other variables, or is that important to you (will you leave it on auto settings most of the time)? Are you going to want image stabilization all the time, some of the time or do you care (there is no right answer to this - some people won't care about it at all, while for others it is a "must-have")?

I don't own either Nikon or Canon -I shoot Pentax. I'm of mixed mind whether to tell you how much I enjoy my cameras (K100 and K10) - I need to replace a broken lens. A year ago I would have been able to pick up a used lens for very little, but the cost has gone through the roof with the recent popularity of the Pentax dSLRs - one of Pentax's previous upsides for those on a limited budget.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 10:42 PM   #14

And again many here say no way (may be eating thier words shortly) but I think C&N atre truely scared by Pentax and now SONY and OLYMPUS jumping on the body IS band wagon ..... ALL their competition they can NOT just ignore it....

Remember the Battle of Midway, Bombs or torpedos...:roll:
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 8:52 AM   #15

Hi freinds thank you all for valuable openions, well i did go through the reviews of K10 D , and it's a nice camera.

Form my geographical location point of view (Maldives) wher only sony ,canon have their showroom's and service centres and Nikon has a authorisesd centre. I felt it is safe to go for these brand's. even though i never had any problem with my previous S3IS.

I am slowely getting more inclined towards Canon 30D!!!!

My Brother is in US and he is also a photo enthusiast,he suggested to try for used Camera's.

How safe is to go for used cam?? are there any good online sites where you can get good used DSLR's?

Thank you for the advise on the lens, it's quite right first to think of the lens that i need and then go for the Body !!! now i am reading more about the lenses.
i find all top brands have almost all range of lenses.

jaydreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 9:19 AM   #16
Super Moderator

Personally I would not go for a used body as it is mechanical and things can get expensive if they go wrong, ever worse for you as you don't have a large support network around you.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 10:03 AM   #17
Administrator

Hawgwild wrote:
Quote:
You are aware that Pentax didn't pioneer the use of in body stabilization, right?

Minolta launched the DiMAGE A1 in 2003 with ccd shift stabilization technology, and it was followed by more models, including two Konica Minolta DSLRs. Pentax was one of the manufacturers "jumping on the body IS band wagon" as you put it. ;-) Minolta pioneered the use of body based stablization. Pentax didn't go that route until much later.

Since Sony acquired Konica Minolta's camera manufacturing related assets, they are using KM's anti-shake technology (they just call it Super Steady Shot now). The Sony DSLR-A100 is based mostly on the Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D. But, Sony and Konica Minolta were actually working on the product long before Sony acquired some of KM's assets. That effort (for Sony and KM to work together on developing a DSLR line using KM's Anti-Shake technology with the ability to use Maxxum lenses) was first announced by Sony and Konica Minolta in July 2005.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 10:35 AM   #18

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Often the difference in noisebetween cameras (especially between Nikon, Sony and Pentax, which use similar,perhaps the same?, sensor) is due to how the cameras go about reducing the noise - Sony seems to do the least noise reduction, while Nikon does the most (noise reduction can affect how much detail is in a picture - take a really noisy picture then run it through one of the noise reduction software programs, playing with the settings and you'll see what I mean). Some people will be happy to give up the extra detail, while others would rather have a bit more noise - it's a matter of personal preference. It's not that big of a deal to me - I prefer to shoot raw.
Assuming it is the identical sensor, I wonder if anyone has ever compared the the noise levels in the RAW images between those brands. If there is no difference in Raw mode then how much noise the camera producesthrough it's own processing should make very little difference to those who process their own photos. I don't process every photo and try to adjust my camera so that it comes close to my expected output but the camera doesn't also get it right especially at higher ISOs therefore RAW for me is still a must. I do hate the fact that RAW takes up so much space, but it has sometimes made the difference between getting ausable photo and not.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:48 AM   #19

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
Personally I would not go for a used body as it is mechanical and things can get expensive if they go wrong, ever worse for you as you don't have a large support network around you.
I tend to agree. But not because it's mechanical but because it's electronic AND manual. Too many points of failure and no way to check the condition of all these points. It's not like a used car that you can take to a shop and have everything inspected. If it was a backup body, I could see it. But as a primry, IMO, the risk is too high.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 1:56 PM   #20
Administrator

I dunno.

It would depend on the vendor, graded condition, warranty or no warranty, etc. and how much money I was saving. lol

For example, if the savings were good, I'd buy a 10 (pre-owned, appears as new) condition product from a vendor like B&H. They have some pretty good deals from time to time.

Used Digital Cameras at B&H

They also have a pretty good return policy, as well as a warranty on used gear:

B&H Used Gear Return and Warranty Policy

Another excellent source for used gear is http://www.keh.com

They have Like New Condition DSLRs in their used department at good prices often.

For used lenses, check out the 35mm section for Autofocus Lenses

They also have a very good return/warranty policy for their used gear:

http://www.keh.com/onlinestore/faq.aspx#aWarrantyPolicy

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote