Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 10, 2007, 3:11 PM   #1

Hi friends i want to upgrade to DSLR from my canon S3 IS.

The choices are Canon 30D or Nikon D80 or Rebel XTi .please help with your suggestions.
which do you suggest and for what features?

Thank you in advance..
jaydreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2007, 3:32 PM   #2

They are all very fine cameras. Making distinctions between them is splitting hairs.

How do you like them?

How did you narrow down the list of dSLRs to just these three?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2007, 6:13 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Hi and welcome to the forums!!

They are a good selection of cameras to look at but like TCav I'm interested why you decided to rule out something like the Pentax K10D, Sony A100 etc.

What sort of shooting do you want to be doing? Where do you think your photography might go in the future?

Remember you are buying into a system that once you are with can be expensive to change as you can soon build up a lot of lenses so it is important to consider what lenses you would have if say you had $5000+ as this might help answer which system is going to work for you.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 12:01 AM   #4

Hi , I wanted a DSLR above 8 Mpx ,i do lot Nature, night photograpy and some under water photograpy.

I am a Canon Fan and admirer of Nikon.

below factors amde me choose the DSLRs

Rebel Xti -10 Mpx, Dust reduction,good images at high ISO

Nikon D80- better build quality, acceptable images at high ISO,and ease of use.

30 D- Build quality, better per pixel sharpnes,higher shutter speed 1/8000, and good images at higher ISO

I read about Pentax K10 D and Sony A 100 they produce higher noise at higher ISO !! and build quality too better than Xti but not as good as the other two of my choices.

I want to buy a DSLR and keep the body atleast for 3-5 years, and build on the lens.

The problem in Maldives is not many choices of shops where i can go and have hands on feel of the camera

there is news that canon is releasing the new successor to 30 D is it worth waiting??

jaydreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 4:28 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Canon are possibly releasing late this year the replacement to the 30D but this has been rumored for quite a long time now and the general guess is it will be 10.1mp, dust cleaning sensor and that's about it. My suggestion is to buy a camera when you need it and don't worry as there is always a new model around the corner. I have a Canon 30D and 5D and for me the XTi does not perform as well as the 30D and it just feels horrible to hold.

For your nature the 5fps continuous shot speed will bea help for sure which neither the XTi or D80will give you.

Even though the 30D is the lowest res of the 3 I've had work produced at 30"x20" and they have come out great. This is helped by getting good glass so you get sharp images in the first place.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 8:42 AM   #6

jaydreams wrote:
Quote:
Hi friends i want to upgrade to DSLR from my canon S3 IS.

The choices are Canon 30D or Nikon D80 or Rebel XTi .please help with your suggestions.

Thank you in advance..
How do you figure these are ONLY choces as you are still P&S with no lens investment....

May I sugggest you just CONSIDER the PENTAX K10D?.... you may be surprised... and unlikethe others 40 years of used lenses to choose from and compatable... the others can'tquite claim (though obviously a manual is not going to become AF... though mouts match.... many even optically better other than AF cheap end (but used as cheap) what you may buy new today.

Save yourself many hundreds over both the aging 30D or D80.... again no lens investment take a goood strong look at the Pentax K10D.... also though some think NEW.... around as long as Canon BOTH (just post WWII) and actually much LONGER than Nikon... very late 60's early 70's... US wise actually the new kid on the block.... Again Pentax and Canon already around 20+ years since WWII (good reconstruction companies) in the US, along with SONY first transitor TV's that also predate Nikon.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 9:43 AM   #7

jaydreams wrote:
Quote:
How about NONE of the above.... you want Jaguars and Porsche's just for the name go for it..... suggest you actualy take a broader look around.

OOPS was going to delete this as redundant....but reconsidered.... really doesn't even matter if Pentax is a consideration...... just not auto Jaguar and Porsche.....

Look at what is actually out there not just the premium brands.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 10:01 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Hayward, chill!!! Jay has asked for advice which is great but don't go jumping down his throat about the ideas that he has.

It is worth making some of the points that you raised which is why I asked the reasons the K10D and A100 had been dropped off of the list of considerations.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 10:12 AM   #9

While i do concure with Hayward on the whole :"Lets check the market for all options before deciding on a brand" I think he is starting to jump the wagon a bit with his glorifying the pentax line. It's a great camera YES, but that doesn't mean your an idiot if you choose canon or nikon.I never thought i would be defending the to big companies N and C but it hasbecome a little tiresome reading haywards contributions lately.

I would say the pentax K10D is an excellent platform so is the sony and the olympus.

But I feel you should try the other way round, a different approach.

1. check what lenses you would be interested in , and then check what mount they are made in. That will save you a lot of irritation afterwards.

This is probably the worst piece of advice you can get as a potential newcomer to DSLR but the matter of the fact is that all the Bodys are pretty good. The lenses are not the same though, and in some areassome brands shine above the others.

take JohnG and Markfor instance..They shoot sports in some dodgy lighting. Well that's a call for ahigh framrate, fast long zooms/primes and a possible use ofiso3200.

I myself shoot nikon D50 with aarray of lenses.I feel the nikon system compliments my shooting style just fine. But since i'm also a bigsucker for buying tech stuff, i will soon be buying a used canon 20Djust for kicks....

monx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 10:20 AM   #10

Well so be it..... some just always want their Mecedes for no real sensible reason.....

I'd take the P K10D over the aged not about to be updated Can 30D any day of the week and DID... selling off all lenses but the basic (easy to EBAY do they are so common) but kept the original Rebel 300D (not that Canon ever did upgrade it but hacked upgraded to near 10D) as a last resort back up second SLR body.

Hey I live in Key West a place about not sucking up to anyone......

Canon BLEW it..... Petax came up with an AMAZINGLY DIVERSE camera in the 10D (and now twice firmware upgraded for function more than minor very specific problems) Again C&N NEVER do.... and again the original Canon rebel 3rd party hacked to be near 10D (NEVER CANON).

So I'd say you want a LEACH take you for all itcan camera company (like CANON or Nikon) ar a company like Pentax that REALLY apreciates you are there and offer a great product they will even entertain and encourage suggestions on as long as it can be done in firmware? (As the first nearly out of the box upgrade was obviously suggestion from beta testers.)