Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:44 AM   #11

bn1127 wrote:
Quote:
another thing is that i do end up croping a lot! like sometimes i only use an 8th of my picture....so would more mps be neccessary then?
Why are you cropping so small? Are you making multiple images out of one, or is it just that hard to get the subject large enough in the image? If the latter, than more megapixel would help a bit, but not nearly as much as getting better macro or zoom (whichever is holding you back in this case). Going from 6mp to 10mp would give you about 29% more width and height, so if the object printed at 1" at 6mp, it would be 1.29 inches at 10mp. But if you can get the object twice as large on the image with more zoom or better macro, you'd get something 2" high with 6mp.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:53 AM   #12

The Canon Powershot A640 is a good camera, but if you want really good low light photos, I would suggest either the Fuji F31fd or S6000fd. The former is pocket sized. the latter is almost as big as some DSLR's. I think these two cameras are current champs for digicams (DSLR's not included). The downside is that they are 6 MP cameras. However, in my experience, that is more than enough most of the time. I have the Fuji F10, which came out two years ago. It takes great pictures.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 1:23 PM   #13

The Fujis look interesting but their macro appears to be lacking, what is a camera with a really good macro and decent to good lowlight pics
bn1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 2:47 PM   #14

bn-

The Fuji S-700 arrived this morning, and I want to post the first picture from this rather amazing camera. The S-700 is indeed smaller than the Canon S-3IS and the Sony H-5. So that is pleasing as well.

This photo was taken at the camera's full default settings just as it came out of the box. So that is Programed Auto, and Auto Flash. The flash is called I-Flash by Fuji. That means that the S-700 attempts to balance the existing light and the flash output. The result is quite sharp and very pleasing. And yes, the I-Flash did indeed work rather nicely. Notice that there is no harsh shadow behind my husband's head.

This camera is called the S-5700 in some other parts of the world. Here in the USA it is sell for $(US) 200.00, and it is targeted to be an enthusiast or Family camera. It is capable of wonderful macro shots, excellent video, and ISO settings up to ISO 1600. This may indeed be a possible camera for you, as it has a fantastic super macro mode. Take a look in the Fuji Folder for a post by dogsmoke, that includes a fantastic macro of a fly. It is really amazing!

Sarah

Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 3:26 PM   #15

You're right that is a nice camera esp for the price...that might be the winner...
bn1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 3:43 PM   #16

bn-

Yes, I sincerely do think thatthe Fuji S-700might meet your needs rather nicely. Here is another sample photo from the S-700. This time a photoof some wildlife. Again the photo looks very impressive. Note the fine detail in the feathers on the seagull's back.

Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote