Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 11, 2007, 12:46 PM   #1

Hi

I m new in photography and I want to buy a good DSLR.First I think about nikon d200 but it s expensive for me.Now I m thinking to buy nikon d 80.If I buy a refurbished (from nikon) nikon d 80do I have problems about the photo quality orwhat kind of problems will I have?

thank you guys..
haplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2007, 1:12 PM   #2

haplo wrote:
Quote:
Hi

Now I m thinking to buy nikon d 80.If I buy a refurbished (from nikon) nikon d 80do I have problems about the photo quality orwhat kind of problems will I have?

thank you guys..
What kind of warranty are they offering? Kodak offersthe samewarranty as new on their refurb. site.

I would expect no problems with image quality if it is actually refurbed by Nikon. If they are offering a new warranty I wouldn't expect any other problems either.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 2:24 PM   #3
Administrator

Nikon USA offers a 90 Day warranty on their factory reconditoned cameras. That's the only downside from my perspective (you get a year warranty on new gear).

Just make sure it's a genuine Nikon Factory reconditoned camera (intended for sale in the country you live in) to make sure you'll be able to get it serviced if it breaks in the future.

Nikon will not service a camera that was not intended for sale in the country you live in, even if you are willing to pay them for the service.

I've been pleased with my purchases of factory reconditioned gear. See this old thread on this subject:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...amp;forum_id=2

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 10:59 AM   #4

JimC-

I also like refurbished gear as well. We have talked about it before. However, my single failure was a Nikon D-50 I purchased last year. It worked well until the 103rd day and then steadfaslty refused to focus. The cost to repair it was within $(US) 10.00 of what I had paid for the D-50. So for me, at least, it was a costly adventure.

So, IMO, and based on my onetime experience with a Nikon factory refurbished camera, I would choose to avoid it entirely.

Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:13 AM   #5
Administrator

Yep.. I remember. But, you're the only person I can recall reporting having an issue like that (failing shortly after the 90 day warranty) with a reconditioned Nikon DSLR. ;-)

The downside of a reconditoned model is the shorter warranty period.

But, I think it's pretty unusual to see a camera need servicing as quickly as yours did. On average, I doubt that a reconditioned model is any more likely to need service compared to one purchased in new condition. But, if it does need it, you've got a longer warranty with the new model.

Each user will need to decide how much the extra warranty period is worth, in comparison to the savings of a reconditioned camera (and if that savings is not large enough, buy new).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 2:07 PM   #6

I'm curious, do any other manufacturers besides Kodak offer a new warranty with their refurbished cameras?
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 2:25 PM   #7

ac-

To my knowledge, only Kodak offers a full 1 year (their regular) guarantee on their refurbished cameras.

Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote