Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 11, 2007, 1:08 PM   #1

whats a good digital slr camera with a very low shutter lag? I have a Canon Powershot A40 right now which has a pretty low lag of 0.09 seconds, but i want to upgrade. It would be good if it was under $1000 too.
seerskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2007, 4:02 PM   #2

seerskater wrote:
Quote:
whats a good digital slr camera with a very low shutter lag? I have a Canon Powershot A40 right now which has a pretty low lag of 0.09 seconds, but i want to upgrade. It would be good if it was under $1000 too.
I have some doubts about the .09 number but the typical # for current generation DSLR is said to be .02 sec. or better.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 9:30 PM   #3

really? i cant seem to find any under 0.1 seconds. could you name some for me?
Old Jun 11, 2007, 9:55 PM   #4

E500 Olympus - .081s

Canon 30D - .068s

Nikon D200 - .057s
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 10:08 PM   #5

seerskater, don't get too caught up in technicalities. There is not an auto focus camera made with zero shutter lag (I know you didn't say that). Even the film slrs that had auto focus had some lag, sometimes to the point you could lose your shot, depending on the light, or lack thereof. In bright sun or even average light conditions, the lag from framing to focus to shot will seem almost instantaneous with almost any slr, digital or not. I have a d50 and have never experienced anything resembling a lag unless the light was dim and the camera had to hunt. To avoid any lag, ever, all you have to do is focus manually, which is just plain silly, given the accuracy of modern auto-focus.

As far as which camera has the least lag, its really a crap shoot and depends on which pixel-peeping techno-geek you talk to.

Take pictures, after all its photography, not racing!

Welcome to Steve's...Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 1:23 AM   #6

Maybe I am wrong but it's hard for me to believe that a 4 or 5 year old A40 has a shutter lag faster than Canon's newer Powershots. According to Steve's review, it doesn't. Check out the last pages of Steve's reviews of various cameras. He always comments on shutter lag, full autofous and prefocused. I think the A630 might worthy of your consideration.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:01 AM   #7

thats for the suggestion, i have found some compact cameras with very fast shutter lags, but i was looking for something more on the lines of a DLSR
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:34 AM   #8

Hawgwild wrote:
Quote:
seerskater, don't get too caught up in technicalities. There is not an auto focus camera made with zero shutter lag (I know you didn't say that). Even the film slrs that had auto focus had some lag, sometimes to the point you could lose your shot, depending on the light, or lack thereof. In bright sun or even average light conditions, the lag from framing to focus to shot will seem almost instantaneous with almost any slr, digital or not. I have a d50 and have never experienced anything resembling a lag unless the light was dim and the camera had to hunt. To avoid any lag, ever, all you have to do is focus manually, which is just plain silly, given the accuracy of modern auto-focus.

As far as which camera has the least lag, its really a crap shoot and depends on which pixel-peeping techno-geek you talk to.

Take pictures, after all its photography, not racing!

Welcome to Steve's...Robert
Even in manual focus an SLR as lag...That merror has to get out of the way.

Your best bet is too pratice timing and worry less about lag

tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:39 AM   #9
Administrator

Unless you plan on using manual focus, Autofocus Lag is usually a far more important consideration.

You can get a general idea of a camera's performance if you read it's review conclusion section here.

But, your actual Autofocus lag may be very different, depending on the subject, lighting, lens, focal length and more. Lighting has a big impact on Autofocus performance, and some lenses will focus much faster than others.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 10:18 PM   #10

Funny but I have no idea what the shutter lag or autofocus resonse time is on either of KMDSLRs. I constantly take shots of dancers doing jumps and other acrobatic feats and sometimes in very poor light and still have a fast enough shutter response to get the shot. Of course anticipating the action helps and that takes practice and a knowledge of what you are shooting.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote