Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 12, 2007, 3:34 PM   #1

A colleague at work is giving me her Olympus E-300, which comes with the two kit lenses. Problem is, it will cost $340 for Olympus to put a new circuit board into it. So, should I do that, or spend $525 on a new Nikon or Pentax or other camera?
mfez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2007, 4:09 PM   #2

mfez wrote:
Quote:
A colleague at work is giving me her Olympus E-300, which comes with the two kit lenses. Problem is, it will cost $340 for Olympus to put a new circuit board into it. So, should I do that, or spend $525 on a new Nikon or Pentax or other camera?
The Olympus E-300 was a fine camera in its day, and it is still a good camera. And for $340 with two lenses, it's a bargain. (KEH.com has an E-300 in "like new" condition for $339, but that's just for the body!)

But you'd be without a camera until it came back.

If you were to buy your own new dSLR, you'd have it right away, but you'd only have one lens.

What's your experience with the Olympus? Does it feel right in your hands? I realize that it's hard to gauge that without having a working copy to try, and that also makes it hard to compare the E-300 to other dSLRs.

But if you decide to get the Olympus and then discover you don't like it, you can easily sell it for more than the $340 it cost you to have it fixed.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 5:08 PM   #3

Thanks is a very well balanced answer, TCav-

I happen to like the Olympus E-300 and E-500 a lot. I still actively use both of them. The two kit lenses are of very high quality , exceeding the Canon and Nikon kit lenses, by a rather wide margin. Those two lenses will allow you to shoot in the28mm to 300mm range (in 35mm terms) which is very nice coverage.

The E-300 with a full8mps exceeds the Nikon D-40, the Nikon D-50, the K-M 5d, and the Pentax K-100. It is still very much a contender.

Here is a very interesting flash photo sample taken with the E-300 at 35 feet from the subject, using the Zukio 40-150mm kit lens. Are you wondering how did the flash carry out to 35 feet? Simple, I used a slave flash (cost $(US) 30.00), easily mounted on the E-300's hot shoe. The E-300 is the only camera that I own on which I can mount BOTH the slave flash and the E-300's built in flash simultaneously.

Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 5:23 PM   #4

Ok, I'm intrigued.

What about what she's showing is folkloric?
Old Jun 12, 2007, 6:30 PM   #5

You see, TCav-

That sample photo got your attention immediately, didn't it? That photo always seems to have that effect. All I was attempting to illustrate was to show that a photo be could taken using the flash on the Olympus E-300 coupled with a slave flash from 35 feet away, while using the Zukio 40-150mm lens.

However, it really was part of an actual Folkloric Show in Puerto Vallarta.

Sarah
Old Jun 12, 2007, 8:13 PM   #6

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
That sample photo got your attention immediately, didn't it? That photo always seems to have that effect.
And I was really hoping you'd think I was different from all the other guys.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 9:35 PM   #7

I read this forum for the articles, I swear.

That's a lovely shot, Sarah; very good color saturation and tonal, umm, curves.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:11 PM   #8

flipped-

At 35 feet from camera to subject, it is an excellent photo! It shows what Olympus cameras are capable of creating. And as I mentioned previously the E-300 that took this photo is the oly DSLR that can simultaneously mount a slave flash right on the camera to work right in conjunction with the E-300's built-in flash.

Here is what it looks like. Pretty sharp photo, isn't it. I just took it with the Fuji S-700 using Fuji's Intelligent Flash.

Sarah
Attached Images

Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:37 PM   #9

Good-looking shot, Sarah.

What's the benefit of using both the built-in and slave flash simultaneously?
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:56 PM   #10

flipped-

By using the two flashes in tandem you are able to take flash pictures at 35 feet and use a telephoto lens as well. As you recall most flash units are designed to throw their light out to 15 feet maximum. By using two flashes together, you literally put twice as much light to work, giving a much greater flash range.

Sarah