Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 13, 2007, 9:54 PM   #1

I currently have a 2-3 year old Panasonic digital camera which I bought because of the Leica lens, but I have grown to hate it because of its bulkiness and poor picture quality in low light and when zoomed in very far. So, I am looking for a new camera that is slim and takes great pictures in all conditions, and my search has narrowed down to the Sony W55, Sony W80, and Olympus Stylus 760. My top 2 needs in a camera are:
1)Takes great pictures in all lighting conditions
2)Will compensate for my very shaky hand (esp. when zoomed in on a faraway subject)

Can anyone shed any light on which of these 3 cameras would best serve my needs (or perhaps even one I haven't found)? Thanks everyone!
yakkob36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2007, 10:51 PM   #2

yakkob-

Unfortunately, I don't believe that there is an ultra small ultrazoom, or ultra capable point and shoot camera that can meet all of your requirements exactly.

The Fuji F-series (the F-10, the F-20. the F-30, the F-31fd, and the F-40fd) are the most capable low light environment cameras. They are 3X optical zoom cameras and they do not have IS.

Cameras like the highly rated Canon A-710IS have more zoom (6X optical zoom), but they do not do well with photos in a really low light environment and they are not pocket sized.

So, I think the sad news is that there is not just one camera that can do everything that you describe rather well. It may require two cameras.BTW none of your suggested cameras can produce the great photos that you desire with your requirements. The Sony W-55 does not have IS, the Sony W-80 and Olympus Stylus 760 can not take photos in all low light environments.

Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2007, 12:52 AM   #3

I came across too demanding i think...I am not looking for perfect pictures in all lighting conditions like a DSLR. I just don't want a camera that takes unrecognizable pictures in dim lighting. Aside from that, I think I need the image stabilization worse than anything anyway. Does anyone have feedback on any of the cameras I listed?
Old Jun 15, 2007, 12:53 AM   #4

I came across too demanding i think...I am not looking for perfect pictures in all lighting conditions like a DSLR. I just don't want a camera that takes unrecognizable pictures in dim lighting. Aside from that, I think I need the image stabilization worse than anything anyway. Does anyone have feedback on any of the cameras I listed?
Old Jun 15, 2007, 2:18 PM   #5

yakkob-

To effectively assist you we need a bit more information:

(1) What budget have you allowed for your new camera?

(2) Please elaborate on the actual lighting conditions/light level and the like where you are taking the majority of your photos?

(3) How much zoom do you require? Consider 3X to be normal, and 10X to be ultrazoom? Do you need a wide angle capability?

(4) Is image stabilization a make or break issue?

(5) Do you have any physical challenges that would make IS mandatory?

(6) Tell us a bit about your photographic background? What camera are you currently using? What cameras have you used in the past?

With answers to those questions in hand, we can begin to make some specific camera suggestions for you.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 16, 2007, 9:14 PM   #6

Just to give you an idea what you can expect from the Sony W-55 without flash at ISO 800, here is a sample photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images