Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 18, 2007, 1:09 PM   #11

***CAUTION***CAUTION***CAUTION!

Download the free download of Snapter at your computer's risk.

Right after I downloaded the Snapter Demo Down load, my Firewall popped up multiple alerts to severe threads of spyware.

It may be a good program, but it appear that a lot of "electronic garbage" and unwanted spyware comes along with Snapter.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 1:20 PM   #12

BJL wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback. Check out the Snapter site. Their program actually can flatten out all the examples you sent. OCR software can be used with Snapter. That allows the text to be edited, which is convenient. All other feedback will be appreciated. By hearing from people who already do this, it will help me to give my son better suggestions.
Thanks again.
Actually I'm a bit with Sarah on this one. For library research OCR is waste of the student's time. The images I created can be printed legibly as images with no software manipulation at all. Time spent making the image "pretty" is time that should be spent acquiring and understanding information. My objective with these imageswas to simulate the acquisition of information as quickly as possible.

Truthfully, if I were a student again, I suspect I would only rarely use the picture scantechnique. This is a product of my 220+ undergraduate and graduate semester hoursand my observations ofcollege/university students for the last ten years as a part-timeinstructor.

The student, in this case will also have to carefully guard against plagerism.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 1:49 PM   #13

Hey! I've got an idea! How about a scanner?

The Canon CanoScan LiDE 25 Flatbed Scanner goes for about $50,is smaller than a laptop, and gets its power from the computer's USB port.

And it comes with OCR software.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 1:58 PM   #14
BJL

Thanks for the heads up on Snapter. I will check into this. I also have my share of graduate degrees and have taught at JCs and Universities, and I still feel that OCR would come in handy, as a way to keep track of specific pieces of information, without having to reread the whole page. Now I need a magnifying glass to read some of those small print books. Both of us are well aware of plagerism issues. The way he quickly handles very complex computer programs, I'm sure that cleaning up a page will be something he could handle in milliseconds. I appreciate the examples of what can come straight out of the camera.
BJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 1:58 PM   #15

The lowest price online for the F31fd is under $230.There is also a$30 rebate on this camera untilthe end of July. The F30 seems to be well over $275. If the lighting is decent in the libraries your son uses, a number of other cameras might be suitable as well, as indicated by another forum member earlier.

I am a college instructor, too. I got my degrees at a time when copying machines (xerox) were what we used to copy research materials.

In the past five years, I have taken pictures of old tests that were not in digital form, inputted the images to my computer and then used OCR software to convert them to Word format. It's not hard to do this if the format of the document is fairly simple and the original (hard copy) is in good shape.

One question I had was this: Even 10 years ago, when browsing computer store shelves for scanners, I saw little hand held document scanners. Don't they still sell such scanners?I realize that a digital camera is much more versatile and fun to use.

As for plagiarism, even some of the ol' xerox machine users succumbed to it. I think a bigger source of plagiarism nowadays is text simply copied directly from Internet documents.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 2:10 PM   #16
BJL

I was originally checking out scanners. I'm sure that my son wouldn't want to carry around a flat bed scanner. It just wouldn't be convenient. Most of the pocket scanners just do a line at a time, like a highlighter. The one that does look promising is Docupen, which will scan an entire page, but everything I've read about it says that it is constructed of cheap materials and the results are marginal, so I think he'd still have more versatility with the digital camera. It is too early to purchase one, as he doesn't start college till next summer, but I like to do my research well in advance. Once I have an understanding of the basics, it is easier to fine tune the new additions to the market. Thanks for the feedback.
BJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 2:16 PM   #17

robbo wrote:
Quote:
One question I had was this: Even 10 years ago, when browsing computer store shelves for scanners, I saw little hand held document scanners. Don't they still sell such scanners?I realize that a digital camera is much more versatile and fun to use.
Those little handheld scanners are long gone, but I.R.I.S. [irislink.com] makes the current day equivalents.

One is the IRIScan portable sheetfed scanner []http://www.irislink.com/c2-285/IRIScan---Features.aspx] but it won't work with bound material.

The other is the IRISPen handheld scanner []http://www.irislink.com/c2-174/IRISPen.aspx] but it requires that you scan over each and every line of text. That could take a while.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 2:22 PM   #18

BJL wrote:
Quote:
I was originally checking out scanners. I'm sure that my son wouldn't want to carry around a flat bed scanner. It just wouldn't be convenient.
The CanoScan LiDE 25 I mentioned will fit in the case alongside his laptop, it uses LEDs instead of a flourescent lightbulb, so it won't drain the laptop's battery too fast, and it is already intended to do what he wants to do, so you and he won't have to jury-rig a collection of products to get the desired result

And for $50, you can try it out, and if it doesn't work, throw it away and buy the digicam.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 5:04 PM   #19

BJL wrote:
Quote:
Now I need a magnifying glass to read some of those small print books.
Me too.:-)
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote