Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 18, 2007, 8:04 AM   #1

Hello all.

I currently own a Panasonic FZ5 that I enjoy a great deal. I started exploring photography summer of last year and it appears I tend to gravitate towards macrophotography though I really enjoy all aspects of photography. With macro, though, I don't have to travel far to explore new things. ) Anyways... I want to move into a DSLR that is within the $1000 range but am not sure which one is considered best for an emphasis in macrophotography. I don't know much about the various lens out there and not sure if cameras with their current lens kits are really appropriate for macrophotography or do I purchase a body and look for an appropriate lens to meet my needs. I am wondering just how expensive it could get in the long run. Also, I am also wondering if my adapter lens that I use with my Panny can be used with a DSLR. I own a variety of achromatic lens that I attach to my adapted Panny lens adapter.

I appreciate any feedback on this.

Thanks,
Beth Ellen
Beth Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2007, 9:01 AM   #2

DLSRs excell at macrophotography, and since you have a specific purpose in mind, shopping for lenses should be your first priority. Once you narrow down your selection of lenses, you will have narrowed down your selection of cameras as well. Keep in mind that, in general, the more expensive the lens the better the image you'll get. But there are several very good inexpensivemacro lenses that will run rings around what you can do with your FZ5 and adapter leses. And many macro lenses are available on the used market at a considerable savings.

The important thing about selecting a dSLR is how it feels to you. Do the important controls naturally fall under your index finger and thumb? Can you comfortably hold it steady? (This is less important for macrophotography since you'll probably do most of your shooting from a tripod, but once you have a dSLR, macrophotography probably won't be the only thing you use it for.)Also remember that, unlike with lenses, a more expensive camera will not necessarily give you better images.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 9:27 AM   #3

There are options other than a DSR check into the fujifilm S6ooofi and S9000 I understand they do quite well in macro. You could also try using lens diopters on your current camera. If you do spend the money for a DSLR you will have lots of options. Used manual focus macro lenses can be had for a good price. Extension tubes or a bellow can work as well. (Though a bellows can be a bit cumbersome) A reverence ring which allows you to mount your lenses on backwards is a great cheap option as well.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 9:33 AM   #4

Thanks for the tips.

Yes, it sure makes sense to think lens first!

I am aware of reverse lens macro photography and had forgotten that you can use extension tubes with digital. All things to keep in mind.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 9:46 AM   #5

It's funny how I remember feeling overwhelmed with my choices when I made my first step towards the FZ5.

Beth Ellen
www.eclecticstudiocafe.com/blog