Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 18, 2007, 11:05 AM   #1

I'm looking at the Nikon D40 but someone told me that while this 6MP camera will be fine for fairly large color prints, it may not be sufficient for B&W prints. Anyone have any opinions re this? Does one need more MP for B&W? (I probably won't be printing anything much larger than 11" x 14".)

Thanks.
trachshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2007, 11:10 AM   #2

hmmm that is something I never heard before. But it doesn't make any sense 6meg should be fine
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 12:51 PM   #3

Let's analyze that statement a bit.

Both B & W and Color photos have exactly the same number of pixels present. There is no technical reason IMO, at allthat they should not print out exactly as well.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 1:13 PM   #4

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Let's analyze that statement a bit.

Both B & W and Color photos have exactly the same number of pixels present. There is no technical reason IMO, at allthat they should not print out exactly as well.

Sarah Joyce
I was told it has something to do with how the eye sees B&W images vs. color. No idea if it's true...
Old Jun 18, 2007, 1:20 PM   #5

Wonder if they were takling about dynamic range in the B&W images, but that has nothing to do the the mp size of the sensor either.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 3:52 PM   #6

I wonder if the person was trying to upsell you to a more expensive camera? I've converted several pictures from a 6 mp camera (Pentax K100)to b&w and printed them at 8x11 without problems. I suppose it partly depends on what you use for a conversion program? As far as dynamic range, I don't see much difference betweenthe 6 mp and a 10 mp camera I have. While I don't own a D40, from what I've seen posted, I don't think you'd have any trouble with it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 11:54 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Actually IMO the person got it backwards. All of the pixels in a bayer array capture luminance information, though the filters on the pixels don't capture full colour information which therefore has to be interpolated. So actually they are generally better at BW for a given pixel count than they are at colour.

As to dynamic range I thinkit is the casethat the smaller the pixel sites, the less the DR. So a 6mp sensor with larger sites (probably, but not necessarily the case) would have greater DR than a 10mp sensor with smaller sites. Of course all things are not equal,newer higher resolution sensors often have other advances which may mitigate the disadvantages of the smaller sites.

There have been calls in some quarters to produce a pure BW sensor which doesn't have any colour filters at all and only captures luminance information. The idea is that it may be possible to reduce the strength of the anti-aliasing filters or eliminate them altogether to get better sharpness.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 1:31 PM   #8

Thanks Peripatetic...very helpful.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 10:59 AM   #9

Yesss! I be all for one that can do dedicated high quality B&W!

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
There have been calls in some quarters to produce a pure BW sensor which doesn't have any colour filters at all and only captures luminance information. The idea is that it may be possible to reduce the strength of the anti-aliasing filters or eliminate them altogether to get better sharpness.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote