Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 18, 2007, 3:50 PM   #1

Frst of all, hi to all, I'm Paulo, living in Portugal and I had a Canon PowerShot A75 (had because recently it gave the E18 and the lenses no longer open).

I was looking for a camera with more zoom but still portable. I need macro, although 5cm (as the A75) is quite enough.

I've narrowed it down to these 3 in this comparison: http://www50.shopping.com/xSBS-digital_cameras~P-2~PRDLT-36736809-40461941-34846334

Each have their pros and cons (like everything in life). The Ixus has short zoom, the TZ hasn't a 2.0 USB interface and has no manual features (I can live with that, but was starting to enjoy it on the A75), the Fuji has cards less common and isn't as portable.

So basically my question is, is there something else that takes decent pics and movies (basically family life, as I'm married with three little kids), and some wildlife and landscape when I travel. I'm leanin towards the TZ3, any similar option I should consider?

Thanks in advance to all,
Paulo
Paulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2007, 4:12 PM   #2

Paulo-

Welcome to the forum. While the Fuji S-6000/6500 does indeed use XD cards, The new 7.1mp Fuji S-5700/S-700 camera for the first time uses the readily available and lesser expensive SD cards. The S-5700 is a very capable camera and it will save you some money with its lower purchase price as well. The Fuji S-5700 has a wonderfull sharp and accurate EVF viewfinder.

The Panasonic TZ-3 is interesting, but it has bo viewfinder at all. You must frame all of your photos using the LCD screen on the back of the camera. That is difficult in bright sunshine. In addition, the TZ-3, like all of the current Panasonic digital cameras has problems when taking photo low light level environments, it displays agreat deal of electronic noise in the photos.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 5:35 PM   #3

Thank you Sarah, I'm going to look into the S5700.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 7:03 PM   #4

Paulo-

The Fuji S-5700 is a very capable 7.1 mp camera with full manual controls and 10X optical zoom. I know that you will like it a lot.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 20, 2007, 11:12 AM   #5

I'm stocked with the S5700 potencial along with alow weight (Ilike the ease and portability). The only thing that doesn't make it the universal camera for me is the relatively narrow38mm minimun.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 11:22 AM   #6

Paulo-

Although, Fuji does not offer an accessory wide angle lens for the S-5700/S-700 camera, perhaps one can be implemented by using a step up ring to adjust the camera's 46mm threads to say a 55mm thread, and then accessory lenses like the high quality Olympus wide ange accessory lenses could be used.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 20, 2007, 5:58 PM   #7

Don't get me wrong Sarah, the S-5700 seems the best available camera for my needs and I'll get much more than I was expecting when I started my search for a new camera!
I prefer less weight than wider angle (5700 vs. 6500) specially at almost half the price. :-)

All the best,
Paulo