Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 18, 2007, 11:33 PM   #1

OK, so post #1 and I am in need of some help. Please! :?:-?

She currently is using a Canon Power Shot A75. It's a 3.2 MP but the lcd display is really starting to act crazy. I am sending it in for repair via the Canon service warranty issue but I am always a little cynical about things like that.

Anyway, what she wants:

1) Decent sized lcd screen (2 to 2.5 inch or so) this is pretty important to her and the bigger the better.

2) Not too big. The A75 seems like a decent body size. A little smaller would probably ok but not a whole lot larger.

3) She likes full auto mode and doesn't want to "dink around with a lot of extra stuff that I won't use". (Her words)

4) Wants to be able to take nice pictures inside and outside with flash on auto so it works when necessary

5) Wants to be able to print good quality 4 x 6 and 5 x 7 prints for albums.

6) Easy to use computer interface - for loading pics onto computer.

7) Price should be somewhere around $175 - @275.

8- She has been pretty happy with the Canon so far but is not really tied into any one brand.

OK, there it is. I would truly appreciate any advice or comments on some models to look at. I haven't really looked at cameras since I bought her the A75 about 3 or so years ago. With so many models out there it's a little overwhelming. Thanks very much.

Bamafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2007, 6:28 AM   #2
Super Moderator

As she has been happy with the Canon and is used to the way it works then take a look at the A570 http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/a570.html

I'm not an expert on P&S camera so someone else might be able to suggest other options.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 11:58 AM   #3

Some camera possibilities for your wife might be:

Fuji S-700/S-5700

Sony W-55

Canon A-570IS

Kodak Z-612

They do vary somewhat in size, as you have given no specifications as to camera size. All cameras on this list have received good reviews.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 7:33 PM   #4

I think all of Sarah's suggestions are sound and she has a wealth of experience to draw on. If at all possible have your wife handle the cameras. Her response to the to the feel of the camera and location/logic of the controls will ultimately make the difference in her satisfaction with the camera.

My wife and I've been married 30+ yrs. My film cameras were always too complicated to have her want to use them but she was never satisfied with the P&S film cameras that I bought for her and I only advised, she chose. She would use my first digital but thought it was too big and clunky although it was a P&S. Then I bought the Kodak Z612 (well, she "gave" it to me for Christmas.) The first time she picked up the camera she said "This camera feels right in my hands." When she uses the camera and then we review the results her comment has been " I pick it up, turn it on, frame the picture and it takes the picture I wanted." She's never said that about any other camera she's touched. That says a lot for both the ergonomics of the Z612 and Kodak's auto-focus, auto-exposure, auto white balance and IS.

That's obviously her personal view but it emphasizes the importance of having your wife handle the cameras under consideration.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 8:06 PM   #5

Good Point, AC-

Handling the prospective camera is more important than we can emphasize. Just do it. You will be glad that you did it.

BTW here is another camera to consider: the Panasonic TZ-3. It is not ultra small, but it could be easily slipped into her purse. A nice 28 to 280mm lens (when expressed in 35mm terms). However, no viewfinder, but a 3" LCD screen with an easy to use brightness control that csan boost the illumination by 40% to take a photo.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 8:58 PM   #6

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. The 570IS is the first one that I am going to have her check out for just the reasons mentioned. She is comfortable with the Canon she has now. The layout and controls of the 570 are similar to the A75 and I would assume that it will feel similar to the A75 in her hands.

This should give us a good place to start.

Bamafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 3:26 AM   #7

Camera for your wife??? Sounds like you're gonna make a trade! Good Luck:G
austintarkus is offline   Reply With Quote