Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 19, 2007, 2:25 PM   #1

I'm looking to purchase a new digital camera with the following criteria:

size: must be small enough to fit in the pocket of cargo pants (doesn't need to fit in jeans)

zoom: 6x optical or greater

price: doesn't matter

purpose: all around (outdoor, indoor, day, night)

I know that there really are no point and shoot cameras that are good in low-light environments except for maybe the Fuji Finepix 30-40 but 3x optical zoom is just too little in my opinion.

The frontrunner for me right now is the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3.

Any thoughts/feedback would be appreciated.
mgrogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2007, 7:24 PM   #2

You might check the Kodak C875 and Z885 camera. Both are small enough for cargo pockets. Steve has tested the C875 and rated it pretty well. User comments on the Z885 are reasonably favorable at this point. I'll will comment that neither have optical viewfinders.

--------------------------
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 10:49 AM   #3

Canon A710IS.
reppans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 12:29 PM   #4

I agree with reppans-

The Canon A-710IS has received excellent reviews and many great user reports. However, if you want your prospective camera to shoot excellent shots in a low light level environment, where high ISO setting are required, the A-710IS is not a good choice.

If you want a lowlight level/High ISO capable camera you are better looking at the Fuji F-30, F-31fd, F-40fd cameras. Yes, they have only 3X optical zoom but they do very well indeed in the lowlight level/High ISO situation.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 3:01 PM   #5

Thank you both for your feedback. I have heard a lot about the Fuji's performance in low-light environments however I feel that 3x optical zoom is a significant limitation. That Canon looks interesting. Any particular reason for why you'd recommend it over the smaller, 10x optical Panasonic TZ3 ?

Thanks,

Mark
Old Jun 21, 2007, 4:42 PM   #6

Because Panasonic has historically had problems with photos taken at High ISO in low light environments. I had a FZ-7, FZ-10, FZ-20, and FZ-30. As ong as you kept to the ISO 200 setting or lower, it did well. Above that ISO settings, the noise gremlin was in the photos big time.

The TZ-3 is suppossed to overcome the high ISO gremlin. Lets take a look to see if it did. Here is a photo taken yesterday when I had just received my TZ-3. It was taken handheld, without flash at ISO 800 and does show some noise.

If that is acceptable to you or if you are willing to run you high ISO shots through Neat Image or Noise Ninja software, then the TZ-3 will work for you. I bought the TZ-3 primarily for outdoors shots.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jun 21, 2007, 5:37 PM   #7

once again, I really appreciate your feedback...thank you very much.

My question now is...the Canon does not have the same problem as the Panasonic? Noise production over 200 ISO in low light? Or is the Panasonic just worse?
Old Jun 21, 2007, 6:37 PM   #8

MGROGAN-

No, I did not say that. It would be best if you read the review on the Canon A-710IS

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...t_a710-review/

The TZ-3 still looks a bit better for noise at ISO 800. Also the TZ-3 will give you a nice wide angle and 10X optical zoom as additional "bonuses."

I looked at both cameras and bought the TZ-3. And I am very happy with my choice. However, the choice is entirely up to you.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 22, 2007, 12:38 PM   #9

Thanks for the feedback...I think I'm going with the TZ3.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 6:55 PM   #10

mgrogan wrote:
Quote:
That Canon looks interesting. Any particular reason for why you'd recommend it over the smaller, 10x optical Panasonic TZ3 ?
Optical viewfinder - ability to frame shots in bright light, follow moving subjects (panning) and you can nearly double the number of pix you can take if you turn the LCD off (to say 1000)

AA batteries - 500 shots with 2 rechargeables, and have nearly unlimited backup options. For me, one constant source of disappointment in any digital/electronic toy has always centered around a proprietary Li-ion battery.
reppans is offline   Reply With Quote