Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 19, 2007, 3:29 PM   #1

class="post" From the outset let it be said that I am entirely happy with the photo quality of my A95 but have found that I have had occasion to need my sister's Fuji Finepix because it is very slimline and thus more discreet and portable eg for conferences etc[slip in pocketable].

I am thus thinking of trading-on my A95 if I can find a good quality replacement with a slim profile.

Flicking through a magazine recently and there was a 10MP Canon Ixus 900Ti as well as the Sony W55 which both got rave reviews. I have also seen online the Canon Ixus 850 and 950.
Looking online, prosumers seem to favour the Fuji F31d.
What about the panasonic lumix range?

Most of the time it will be used for straight-forward family point-and-shoot stuff but I also use my A95 (with a mini tripod) to digitise my xray collection. It does an okay job of this [i suspect it could do better but I am the limiting factor]

Any help with newer cameras that fit the bill would be most appreciated, particularly comment about how picture quality would rate compared with my Canon A95.
I know MP count is not the be-all-and end-all but it would be nice to have a 10MP camera [going from 5MP to 6MP is all that is currently stopping me from getting a F31d straight away as they look fantastic value].

Thanks

wigwam12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2007, 8:21 AM   #2

wigwam-

Certainly, any of the cameras thatyou mention would probably fill your requirements. I am unfamiliar with the Canon model. However, the Sony W-55 issomwhat smaller than the Fuji F-31,either willthe produce very good photos.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 4:52 PM   #3

Many thanks for that.
I noticed a comment in a thread at the top of this forum talking about noise at high ISO. In a low light environment I take it the Fuji is top dog?
Are they all much of a muchness in "daylight"?

I saw a review for the F31d which also did a comparison of images with a few cameras including the Canon Ixus 850 [I think over the pond you guys call it the SD range?] and the Fuji images blew the Canon's away IMO

The only other problem with this Fuji is that it still uses slow[er] more expensive xD when even the F40d has moved onto SD....
Old Jun 20, 2007, 6:45 PM   #4

wigwam-

Fuji is in the process of making the change to SD cards. Thus far, only the new F-40fd and the S-700 Fuji cameras are capable of using the SD card.

Yes, Fuji does dominate the lowlight/high ISO battlefield, really with very few challengers. I am attaching an outdoor photo sample from the F-40. You will notice that the colors are quite good.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 7:00 PM   #5

very nice.
As 2 of the specific uses I will have of the camera are:
-low light shots with no flash
-images of backlit xrays in the dark

I guess my field is narrowed down to 1. The Fuji tech department I should only consider the F31d for my uses when I asked them between the f31/40/45/47.

Coolio - now I just have to find a nice home for my Canon A95 preferably someone generous!
Old Jun 20, 2007, 7:10 PM   #6

" The only other problem with this Fuji is that it still uses slow[er] more expensive xD when even the F40d has moved onto SD...."

Be careful what you are comparing when you say things like 'slower' and 'more expensive'. Memory cards come in different formats, brands, and speeds (within formats). If you were to compare a popular, reliable brand of card at the same vendor and at the higher rated speeds, you might want to retract the quoted statement. Sure, you can buy a generic brand, 1 GB, SD card (of unknown quality and performance) for as little as $13...but is that what you really want or need?

Let's look at a well known brand - Sandisk...a well known vendor - B&H Photo...3 popular memory card types - xD, SD, and CF, the same capacity - 1 GB, and the highest rated speed card in that particular line:

1 GB xD, Type H = $24.95
1 GB SD, Extreme III = 29.95
1 GB CF, Extreme III = 34.95

So much for more expensive...now, how about speed?

I have no doubts that, of the 3 type cards listed above, the xD is the slowest when used in a card reader (depending on the reader, of course), to upload pics into a computer. But what about in-camera performance? Is there that much of a difference?

In the F31fd, there is no card type faster than the Type H xD card...that is primarily because that is the only card that camera will take. The only meaningful comparison of camera speed (that I was able to find), in a camera that uses both the xD and another type card (in this case CF) is the F9000. In all categories tested, the xD outperformed the CF card.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms9000/page5.asp

Comparing the performance of the A95 (CF Extreme II), Ixus 850 (SD Extreme III), and the F31fd (Type H), against 4 important benchmarks (startup time, pre-focus lag time, shot-shot time, and continuous/burst mode frames per second), we see:

A95 = 2.4 sec/0.2 sec/2.4 sec/2.0 fps
850 = 1.1 sec/0.08 sec/1.4 sec/1.7 fps
F31 = 1.6 sec/0.02 sec/2.4 sec/2.3 fps

Make your own conclusions, but I can't see any advantage to using a more expensive SD or CF card, and losing the superior low light performance of the Fuji.

My opinion - take it for what it's worth.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 1:26 AM   #7

I don't have the F31fd, but I do have the F10 (got it 6 weeks ago), its more than 2 year old elder brother. Actually, it lacks most of the F31fd's manual settings, but it is by far the best low light pocketable camera I have ever used. (I have had about 8 of them in the past 6 years). I would pick the F31fd in a flash if I were looking for a compact lowlight camera.

xD prices have come down a lot. I get about 350 pictures on a single 1 gb card. These cards are selling for between $19 and $30 at reputable online dealers.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 6:14 AM   #8

thanks chaps!
nice to see a summary of the memory card speeds too [although I have the Lexar CF card which is a little faster than the Sandisk Extreme II :?]

Guess next plan is to track down a good deal for it.
The cheapest price for it is actually still the RRP (£125) from what I have seen.
I guess the problem with being sought after is lack of deals?
No local stores seem to be selling it either, just online places.

Also does the F31d come with 2 year warranty as standard or is it a deal from the few retailers who seem to be mentioning this?

btw does it use the same size battery/charger as the F11? MY sister has one of those already and I bought her spare batteries/charger
Old Jun 22, 2007, 6:36 PM   #9

Fuji cameras carry a one year warranty in the US...I don't know if it's the same in other countries.

The F11 and F31 use different batteries and chargers.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2007, 6:09 PM   #10

here are some of my fave shots taken on the A95 [resolution viciously chopped to downsize for uploading!]
I take it the F31d can do this and more?:

Attached Images