Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 19, 2007, 3:44 PM   #1

Hi,

New here on the board, so hi to everyone before I ask my query:-).

Just bought the Canon S 3IS, and the S5IS is on shop. Just wondering whether to return it and go for the s5IS, if it is really much better. Do you think it is worth paying the extra dollars to go for the 5IS? :?

Or would any of you suggest some other bridge camera, which performs better from some other (than canon) brand on a similar price range as the S3IS. I already have a Canon A 520, so I am lookingfor a megazoom, or possibly a entry level SLR (Optical zoom not less that 10x, price no more than600 Cdn)

Thank you for your time
mtgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2007, 6:05 PM   #2

At this point I haven't seen any S5 reviews by independent reviewers (Steve or the folks at DPReview). I have seen user comparison images between the S5 and the Sony H9 - the S5 was better. I haven't seen any user made comparison images between S2, S3, and S5 and until those are available I don't really think anyone can make any valid judgments.

You can always take more and better pictures with the camera you have than the one your dreaming of, or hoping for.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 9:04 PM   #3

mtgoat-

How do you feel about the Canon S-3IS? Do you feel a need to return it? Are you disappointed in some way, that has not yet been disclosed?

The S-3 is an excellent camera and the changes between the S-3IS and the S-5IS are really minimal IMO. However, if you are unhappy or dissatisfied, this is the time to change right now.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:55 PM   #4

thx acsmith and sarah for your replies:-).

acsmith, yeah i read the comparisons between H5 and S5, but I am interested in S3 and S5. I know I can always take better shots with mine, but since I am making a big investment, I want to make the best decision, and if by paying a bit more I get a significantly better camera, I would rather do it.

Sarah: i read some of your in other posts, and learned a lot, let me thank you for that in the beginning.

About the S3, it was good indoors, but some shots I took last Sunday when I spent outdoors (it was a cloudy day) left a bit to be desired. S3 results, on the whole, has not been so bad that I want to change it. I am still interested about S5, because I got different viewpoints, some said the new processor (especially the new face detection technology) that S5 has is a big improvement and worth the price, while some say it is not worth paying $100, for the lens etc. is same. I just want a moreprofessional and unbiased expert views on the two, such as yours.

thank you

Old Jun 20, 2007, 11:18 AM   #5

Assuming the lens is the same in both the S3 and S5 (and I believe they are), and both cameras have the same size sensor (and they do), and the S3 has noise issues at and above ISO 200 (according to more than one professional review site)...

I can't imagine the S5 could have much (or any) of an image quality improvement, considering they have crammed an additional 2 million photo sites into an already too small sensor, as well as having pushed the ISO capability up to 1600. You can only process so much.

I'd wait until a few reliable professional reviews come out on this one.

Just my opinion.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 12:46 PM   #6

Thank you very much Hun for your views. I will stick to my S3 (and savesome dollars too:-)) based on your views.

Cheers
Old Jun 20, 2007, 12:50 PM   #7

sorry repost. donno how, clicked only once. can anyone tell me how to delete my post?
Old Jun 20, 2007, 12:50 PM   #8

repost, sorry