Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 20, 2007, 12:09 AM   #1

Has anyone heard about a 10% discount at Circuit City for AAA members?

One of the local (Kansas City) CC stores has quit selling Pentax, although they once did. Does anyone know why, and might that be a bad omen?

Does Pentax make a lenses close to a zoom 18-70? That would fit into the range of my other three old K-mount manual lenses. I would like AF, but my work does not require it, and, of course, my old lenses don't have AF. Lacking a Pentax product to fit, can I fit the Sony lens to the Pentax mount using an adapter ring?

Also, speaking of adapters, can I use an adapter, reverse one of my present lenses, and have close-up capabilities of any quality?

I am going to buy a Pentax K10D. Owning three workable Pentax lenses was the deciding factor in going to Pentax. I haven't shot SLR for many years, and am looking forward to starting again. Life just kind of got in the way for years. Can anyone suggest the cheapest, but reliable, place to buy it? I will probably buy just the body unless I can pair up with the aforementioned lens.

There seems to be a concensus that the K10D creates somewhat soft Jpegs. I plan on shooting RAW plus Jpeg, then processing the RAWS where I want really sharpened photos. I have a program "RawShooter, Essentials 2005" which came with my Corel Paint Shop Pro 10. I bought the Corel program, hoping it would add something to my Paint Shop Pro 6, but it didn't. I use Pro 6 to make drawings for my inventions when I submit them for patenting. I just finished one with 49 sheets of 199 drawings. It has been a godsend to me in my work. No more dirty ink or graphite drawings. On subject again, can someone tell me if the RawShooters program is suitable for processing RAW photos?

As an aside, anyone who hasn't yet done so, please treat yourself by viewing the collection of monthly winners on Steve's site. The pics are stunningly beautiful. I think they may humble you, but also may stir you up to try to become good enough to do such work. The beauty in those pics are to me what photography is all about. I know most of you know that already, but I have just begun to realize it all over again.

Regards,

Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2007, 12:34 AM   #2

Old Engineer wrote:
Quote:
See Old Engineer wrote:
Quote:
One of the local (Kansas City) CC stores has quit selling Pentax, although they once did. Does anyone know why, and might that be a bad omen?
The on-line store still has them.

Old Engineer wrote:
Quote:
Does Pentax make a lenses close to a zoom 18-70? That would fit into the range of my other three old K-mount manual lenses. I would like AF, but my work does not require it, and, of course, my old lenses don't have AF.
The Pentax site [Old Engineer wrote:
Quote:
Also, speaking of adapters, can I use an adapter, reverse one of my present lenses, and have close-up capabilities of any quality?
Pentax has to Macro lenses and things like reversing rings and bellows have fallen out of favor because of the lack of auto-focus, there are some reversing rings still available, and some auto-focus extension tubes as well. Check Adorama.com

Old Engineer wrote:
Quote:
I am going to buy a Pentax K10D. Owning three workable Pentax lenses was the deciding factor in going to Pentax. I haven't shot SLR for many years, and am looking forward to starting again. Life just kind of got in the way for years. Can anyone suggest the cheapest, but reliable, place to buy it?
Adorama.com and BHPhotoVideo.com are two very good on-line retailers, and I'm sure that others here can tell you of more.

As an aside, it seems you are in the habit of starting a topic with one subject and including several related subjects in your initial post. This doesn't let people know the full extent of your inquiry. People who browse the list of topics may bypass this one because they aren't members of AAA (or don't even know what AAA is), but they may have much to contribute on the subject of Pentax cameras and lenses, so you won't have the benefit of their insights. I think it's best to start posts with a single specific question, and if you have multiple questions, post multiple topics.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 8:07 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply Tcav. You are absolutely right. The thought never crossed my brow. Chalk it up to inexperience on the forum.

Old Engineer
Old Jun 20, 2007, 8:43 AM   #4

Old Engineer wrote:
Quote:
WowBB distorted my response to this in my first post (posts that contain multiple links get mangled) so here's my response:

See http://www.aaa.com/aaa/215/discounts...rcuit_city.htm

Of course, if you say you don't want the CityAdvantage extended warranty, they'll say they don't have what you want in stock.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 8:48 AM   #5

Old Engineer wrote:
Quote:
Does Pentax make a lenses close to a zoom 18-70? That would fit into the range of my other three old K-mount manual lenses. I would like AF, but my work does not require it, and, of course, my old lenses don't have AF.
Another mangled response because WowBB fouled an instance of multiple links.

http://www.pentaxslr.com/lenseslists a 16-50, a 16-45 and an 18-55, and on PhotoDo.com the 16-45 and the 18-55 have higher user ratings than the Sony (Minolta) 18-70.

The problem with sites like PhotoDo.cm is that there are rarely people that post reviews that have experience with multiple product lines, so it's not a good idea to compare reviews for products from different companies. Lenses tend to be rated as how they compare to other lenses available for the same camera, not on an absolute scale. That's why MTF measurements are most valuable; objective data is hard to come by.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 10:48 AM   #6

Old Engineer wrote:
Quote:
There seems to be a concensus that the K10D creates somewhat soft Jpegs. I plan on shooting RAW plus Jpeg, then processing the RAWS where I want really sharpened photos.
I've read that as well. The Sony A100 and the Pentax K10D use the same or similar image sensors. The explanation I read is that Sony tuned the A100 for a sharper image but got higher noise at the upper ISO settings, while Pentax wanted lower noise at high ISO and so the in-camera processing softens the image slightly.

But working with RAW files will probably let you do well with either camera.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 11:53 AM   #7

My sincere thanks to all who answered. I placed my order for the Pentax K10D with a 2 gig card and their 18-55 kit lens. Per recommendations from some of you, I bought the kit at B & H Photovideo.

When I get it I will shoot a few and share them, assuming I can figure out how to do that.

Old Engineer
Old Jun 20, 2007, 6:04 PM   #8

I didn't look at this thread until today, but think you made a good choice with the kit lens (18-55mm). It's a nice lens for the price, I still use mine all the time. And B&H is wonderful - I've bought 3 cameras and one lens from them at various times over the years and have always had excellent service.

Since you bought the Pentax, drop buy the Pentax SLR section of this board - there's a wealth of information to be had there. As far as reversing rings, someone on that board posted how to make one. Since Pentax has so much backward capability, things like reversing rings and extension tubes often get asked about and used regularly (though I eventually opted to buy an inexpensive macro lens).

P.S. While the K10 is a bit softer than some cameras, I found that with a little bit of post processing you can get really nice pictures (check out some of the ones posted).

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 6:34 PM   #9

Old Engineer wrote:
Quote:
I placed my order for the Pentax K10D with a 2 gig card and their 18-55 kit lens.
I am certain that you will be very pleased with it. Good luck. I'm looking forward to your posts.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 8:46 PM   #10

Congrats on your purchase, can't wait to see you in the Pentax SLR forums here.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote