Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 21, 2007, 1:26 PM   #11

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
I sincerely think there still may be another solution. I would go to E-Bay and look for a used "beer can." Yes the Minolta 70-210mm lens is called the "beer can." It is a F.2.8 lens that will fit your Sony A-100 just fine.

It is also a very high praised lens. I will go out on a limb and guess that you might find one over on E-Bay for $(US) 200 to 250.

So there is a mens that can handle those 7pm to 9pm games and give some really great zoom range. In 35mm terms, that lens mounted on the A-100 will give you a focal length range of 105 to 315mm. Perhaps you might want the A-100 equipped with the Sony 18-70mm lens to eliminate some of the focal range gap.

Sarah Joyce
I'm familiar with the Beercan. I have one and am a big fan.

It's only f/4, not f/2.8, but that's still better than f/6.3 so it may do the trick.

KEH.com has one for $144. It's condition is listed as BGN, which means "Bargain". That means it shows some wear and tear but it still works. You may find better examples on eBay.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 1:31 PM   #12

But I wouldn't buy anything from digitalcombos.com. I hate saying this because it's my hometown, but you shouldn't buy anything from an on-line retailer with an address in Brooklyn.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 1:40 PM   #13

TCav-

Thanks for the "heads-up" on the the Beer Can's aperture. I had forgotten that.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 2:41 PM   #14

I am troubled by our recommendation that a first time purchaser of a dSLR also buy a used lens to accomplish his stated goal. While the Alpha-Beercan pairing might be a good solution, it does not speak well of the industry that supports our artful pursuits, and it is not likely to inspire a lot of confidence in the original poster.

I don't know what else to do, though.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 4:33 PM   #15

Thanks for your replies. Sorry I am such a newbie. I have no problem with purchasing a used lense. But.........

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a better camera and lens for the money. I am really green to photograpy. So my purchase doesn't have to be the Sony. I am open to any suggestions.

I really appreciate your time,

Wolves
RedWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 5:13 PM   #16

Wings-

The problem remains because of the need for a faster telephoto lens to handle those 7pm to 9pm games. The only choice that I can think of is a lens our sport photography professional, JohnG, uses: the Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 lens.

I bought it on E-Bay for $(US) 665.00 delivered and it is a very good lens. But that pushes the price up to around $(US) 1,300.00, I will keep thinking of some solutions, but tell me if the $1,300 is feasible.

The problem is we need a bright zoom lens for those twilight games.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 21, 2007, 6:22 PM   #17

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Wings-

The problem remains because of the need for a faster telephoto lens to handle those 7pm to 9pm games. The only choice that I can think of is a lens our sport photography professional, JohnG, uses: the Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 lens.

I bought it on E-Bay for $(US) 665.00 delivered and it is a very good lens. But that pushes the price up to around $(US) 1,300.00, I will keep thinking of some solutions, but tell me if the $1,300 is feasible.
And the Sony is a fine camera among many fine cameras. Making distinctionsamong them is spliting hairs.But unfortunately, nobody else makes anything that would serve your stated purpose anybetter.

And there's a little bit of prestige when people see you with a lens that shows a little wear. People will think you're the original owner and the new dSLR is a recent purchase. They'll think you've got a lot of experience, and start asking for your advice.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 6:31 PM   #18

So the Sigma lens will fit this camera then?

Thanks a lot for your time. I really appreciateyou taking the time to help me.Man, I'm glad I found this site.

Wings
RedWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 8:54 PM   #19

Wings-

Yes, the Sigma 70-200mm F-2.8 lens can be purchased for a Minolta/Sony Alpha mount.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 21, 2007, 9:50 PM   #20

Aren't there any 200-250mm f2.8 fixed focal length lens in the minolta mount? In the film days ('70s) I had a 180mm f2.8Miranda. A fixed focal length might be both cheaper and allow a little higher shutter speed due to better light transmission. I never had Minoltas so I have no history on what was available in that mount.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote