Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 24, 2007, 11:20 PM   #31

TCav-

It is apersonal choice.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:17 PM   #32

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
TCav-

It is apersonal choice.

Sarah Joyce
Without question. I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear.

But the OP stated that the purpose of a new camera would be shooting sports, and continuous shooting capability and shutter lag may affect his of her personal choice.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:18 PM   #33

Dupe.

:-?

:angry:
Old Jun 27, 2007, 1:54 AM   #34

RedWings wrote:
Quote:
Is this a good deal? I am new to photography but want a camera that I can take pictures of my sons playing baseball. I have a point and shoot Sony but want to step up to a better camera that will last me a while. Here is a link to look at. Is this a good lens or are they making it sound better than what it is?

Thanks for your time,

Wings
PERSONALLY..... if you have no Minolta glass investment I would take the Pentax K10D (or 100D if on a budget) over the Sony Alpha anyday.... better rated camera (See Steves BEST and same other places) and can use virtually any lens ever made for Pentax 35mm.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 2:45 AM   #35
Super Moderator

Gosh - what a surprise Hayward recommending the K10D. :blah:
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 8:58 AM   #36

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
PERSONALLY..... if you have no Minolta glass investment I would take the Pentax K10D (or 100D if on a budget) over the Sony Alpha anyday.... better rated camera (See Steves BEST and same other places) and can use virtually any lens ever made for Pentax 35mm.
See http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/4241...vel-dslrs.html.

I quote: 'Our image of an "entry-level" digital SLR has blurred since we put together last year's Editor's Choice issue. This year's winner, the Sony Alpha 100, is such a full-featured, versatile camera that we initially planned to put it in the Advanced D-SLR category.'

In the category of "Entry-Level DSLRs" the Pentax K100D didn't even make the cut, and the only thing keeping the Sony Alpha out of the running in the "Advanced DSLRs", where it would compete head-to-head with the Pentax K10D,was its low price.

And Steve's Best List contains the Sony Alpha-100 as well as the Pentax K10D and K100D, and if you read the fine print, you'll see "Cameras are not listed in order of preference", soneither Pentax is "better rated"than the Sony.

Also, just because someone doesn't have any Minolta lenses doesn't mean they can't get some quickly and inexpensively. The selection of used Minolta autofocus lenses at KEH.com is quite broad, and has some really fine stuff. (And the selection of used Pentax autofocus lenses at KEH.comis quite small in comparison.) (... or not in comparison.)