Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 20, 2007, 6:28 PM   #1

Is this a good deal? I am new to photography but want a camera that I can take pictures of my sons playing baseball. I have a point and shoot Sony but want to step up to a better camera that will last me a while. Here is a link to look at. Is this a good lens or are they making it sound better than what it is?

Thanks for your time,

Wings
RedWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2007, 6:34 PM   #2

Red Wings-

There was no visible link included in your post. The current price for the A-100 body is currently running at around $(US) 625.00. To that you will have to add a telephoto lens. Are your son's game daytime or night time baseball games? How close can you get to the game to take these photos?

With some additional help from you we can better answer your question.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 6:40 PM   #3

Sorry about that. Inoticed that I didn't include the link and I didn't see an edit part for my post and then I was having login problems becuase of my cookies.

So, here it is...

http://www.digicombos.com/product_p/...100sn18200.htm

Thanks,
Old Jun 20, 2007, 6:55 PM   #4

Red Wings-

I have never heard of that vendor. I would certainly check the reseller ratings (go to www.google.com and type in reseller ratings) on them, before I picked up the phone to order. It is not the best deal out there by the way. We still need to know about how close you can get and whether these are night games or day games??

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 20, 2007, 7:24 PM   #5

Are you kidding me? Would you buy a camera from this store?

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0181.htm

You won't be saving $9020.0...trust me.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 7:38 PM   #6

I would say that I am probably about75 ft at the closest and maybe 200ft at the farthest.

I just don't know anything about lenses. We have alof games where it is about 7-9 pm too.

Thanks,

Old Jun 20, 2007, 8:07 PM   #7

The Sony Alpha-100 is a fine camera. The 18-200 is not such a fine lens.

I know. I have one.

The 18-200 is a rebranded Tamron AF18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II . It has geometry distortions at the wide end, chromatic abberation at the long end, and is soft throughout.

It was my first lens, and I was happy with it until I tried to take pictures of the Moon. What I got were fuzzy white disks in the night sky. I have since purchased other lenses, all used and each costing no more than $150, and each is sharper than the 18-200. I don't ever use it anymore.

On the other hand, the Tamron AF18-250mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) seems to be a very fine lens, and costs not much more than the 18-200. And for the kind of photos you want, the extra reach of the 250mm focal length might be a good idea. It's one seeming flaw is that it's not very good in low light (a flaw it shares with the 18-200.) I presume that the games you'll be shooting at night are lighted, so you should be fine. But for indoor shots, you'd be better off with something else (like maybe the Tamrom 17-50 f/2.8.)

Also, one of the very nice things about the Sony is that it will work just fine with all the Minolta Auto-Focus lenses available on the used market. Some of them are very good and available at a significant savings. You can take a look at KEH.com to see some of what's available.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 8:49 PM   #8

Wings-

There is still going to be a problem with those 7pm to 9pm games. The Tamron 18-250mm lens is just not bright enough to get the shutter speed on the A-100 high enough to stop action. When that lens is zoom ed out all the way for close-ups the aperture will fall to F 6.3.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 20, 2007, 9:17 PM   #9

Sarah might be right.

Take a look at http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=82. It has several shots of the recent Yankees vs. Mets game. It's Major League Baseball, so the lighting is better than you'll get, and according to the photographer, these were all shot at ISO 1600 with the lens wide open, f/5.6, at 200mm, and with shutter speeds of 1/160 and 1/250.

At f/6.3, ISO of 1600, with the lighting at a little league ballpark, you might have to go down to a shutter speed of 1/50. You'll get a lot of motion blur on the bat and ball and a fair amount on base runners, but fielders and plays at a base might come out ok depending on your vantage point.

But I don't know of anything that would be better, unless you want to spring for this:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId=11033557

or this:

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...mp;navigator=3

or maybe this:

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...mp;navigator=3
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 11:49 AM   #10

TCav-

I sincerely think there still may be another solution. I would go to E-Bay and look for a used "beer can." Yes the Minolta 70-210mm lens is called the "beer can." It is a F.2.8 lens that will fit your Sony A-100 just fine.

It is also a very high praised lens. I will go out on a limb and guess that you might find one over on E-Bay for $(US) 200 to 250.

So there is a mens that can handle those 7pm to 9pm games and give some really great zoom range. In 35mm terms, that lens mounted on the A-100 will give you a focal length range of 105 to 315mm. Perhaps you might want the A-100 equipped with the Sony 18-70mm lens to eliminate some of the focal range gap.

Sarah Joyce