Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 21, 2007, 11:40 AM   #1

The price of the 2 cameras is almost the same around here ( G7 maybe 50us more)

Which one gives you more bank for the money.

TZ3 : smaller, 10X ,

G7 : Manual, 10MP,
swatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2007, 12:46 PM   #2

Gee, swatch-

Where do you live? Here in the USA, the Canon G-7 is selling on the internet for around $(US) 460 and the Panasonic TZ-3 iselling for around $(US) 280.
That is quite a price difference. I just got my prices from http://www.pricegrabber.com.

With that said, I would opt for the TZ-3. It is just a whole lot handier to use and you get wide angle to 10X optical zoom: 28 to 280mm.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 4:14 PM   #3

In the UK you can get the price difference down to around £50

I think the deciding factor between these two models is;

a) if 28mm is very important then go TZ3

b) if consistent high image quality is very important, particularly at 400+ ISO then the G7 looks the better buy

c) if you never print higher than 7 x 5 then go TZ3 (as the image quality arguement reduces).

I would love the 28mm but for me, IQ would be the deciding factor and would probably go G7. If I did want 28mm, then i would also research the Ricoh R6.
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 4:26 PM   #4

Norm-

Unless the G-7 is a whole lot different that the G-6, I do not think going above ISO 400 is very practical. The first photo is a sample with the G-6 at ISO 400. The second is a TZ-3 handheld, no flash photo sample at ISO 800.

Sarah Joyce

Old Jun 22, 2007, 6:45 AM   #5

I was all set for the TZ3, but it doesn't sell under 450$US here in Taiwan. Japanies gray import TZ3 sell for around 350$US , Japan warranty only.Both would inc. 2 batteries and a 2 GB

The G7 goes for the same price(450)inc. warranty ,butwithout the batteries and the Card.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 11:19 AM   #6

swatch-

I am sorry to learn of the local camera pricing in Taiwan. I personally like the TZ-3 a lot and very much enjoy using it. Here in the USA it is selling for around(US) 280.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 24, 2007, 7:36 PM   #7

I went for the TZ3 (360$US), but with a 4GB and 1 year store warranty. Far the best price I could find.

The size and the zoom won me over. Have done only a few pictures and 2-3 videos and have to get used to the camera first. So far the video with OIS is very good specialy comp. to my old camera.

As we have a new member in our family since last week quiet a few pictures will be taken indoors, but the baby function seems to work Okay if daddy remembers to turn of the exposure compansation.

I'm also happy with the low light quality, It may not be up to Fuji, but ISO 400 looks pretty good to my eyes. ISO 800 gets a bit noisy, have to see how it looks on 4x6 prints.

Sahra, do you have any tips for the settings? Outdoors I used - 1/3 exposure c.

Thanks, Herb.