Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 22, 2007, 9:59 AM   #1

I have a Canon S3 IS, which I'm really happy with. However, when out mountain biking, skiing or at sporting events, Ineed a more pocketable camera with the same features. The optical zoom is very important, would need to be min 7x, preferably 10x or 12x, but I really don't want to sacrificethe viewfinder. The Panasonic Lumix TZ1 would be ideal, but it only has an LCD.

Any suggestions gratefully received. Are there hi-res cameras with a digital zoom where the quality is good enough to be considered? Do you think I'm being too stubborn on the viewfinder point? Does such a camera actually exist?

Thanks in advance!
aoriordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2007, 11:39 AM   #2

See if the Canon Powershot A710 would come close, with only 6x optical zoom and with a viewfinder. I think the 7x zoom in a very small camera is as much a limiting factor as the optical viewfinder. Casio has a new model with (I think) a 7x folded zoom but no viewfinder. Happy hunting!
JDar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 12:13 PM   #3

The Sony W-55 is pleasantly very small, quite capable, and selling for around $(US) 200.00. You might want to take a look at the W-55. And yes, it does have an optical viewfinder.

Here is a sample photo from the Sony W-55.

Sarah Joyce

Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 1:53 PM   #4

Yes, I did look at this one, has the benefit of being similar to my current camera in terms of operation and software. Not sure if it's"pocketable" enough to justify the requirement, but it's definitely under review! many thanks for the response.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 1:54 PM   #5

Thanks Sarah, only problem is the 3x zoom, which is less than I need really. But thanks for replying!
Old Jun 22, 2007, 2:17 PM   #6

Hi Aoriodan,

You may go for the new Canon G-7 too, which got good reviews. It has 6x optical zoom,therefore very close to the 7x that you suggested, and it is smaller than your S 3IS. It is also very hardy (metal case), so you can keep it with you while biking or skying.

It is now a bit-over priced I think, but you can go for it if that is okay with you.
mtgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 8:12 PM   #7

I like the Panasonic TZ-3 a lot, But it does not have an optical viewfinder. So here is the solution that I have crafted. I use a LCD screen shade produced by www.delkin.com. Here is how it looks mounted on the TZ-3. It is Delkin's 3 inch screen
protector.

Sarah Joyce
Here it is closed on the back of the TZ-3:

Here it is open on the back of the TZ-3:

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2007, 9:00 AM   #8

Looks interesting, many thanks for this tip. Alan