Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 23, 2007, 8:37 PM   #1

I'm looking at buying a decent point and shoot type camera. I would like one where it is possible to change the shutter speed and ISO.

I have to buy either Olympus or Fuji – I currently have a Fuji and have about 5 XD memory cards that I will use instead of buying more memory cards. I would prefer the camera to be powered by AA batteries.

I have found the Fuji Finepix A800 or the Olympus FE 210 both under $200. From reviews I have read, neither are particularly any good (slow, bad picture quality, noise etc). I don't want to spend any more than $400. I want to get a good one that will last instead of buying a cheaper one that is disappointing in many of its features.

Does any one have any suggestions on Olympus or Fuji cameras?

Thank You!
evoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2007, 10:07 PM   #2

evoke-

A student in my Digital Cameras class was able to purchase an Olympus FE-180 for $(US)80 delivered to her home. On Thursday we did some test photos with the FE-180 and the results were rather impressive. The camera sells new on the internet for $(US) 125.00 to 140.00, so she ended up with quite a bargain. Yes, the camera is a bit slow but the photos look good. I have psted two with this post.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2007, 10:44 PM   #3

The Fuji S-5200 (5 mega-pixel)is a very impressive camera with 10x optical zoom. Powered by 4AAs, uses xD cards. Is also fast. I have one for a year and then moved up to the Fuji S-9100 because I need a hot show flash for the work I do.......

Not sure of its current price. I would check with bhphotovideo to see what they are selling it for. Even if its over $200 it is well worth getting one.

In my digital photography days (2000 --->) I used a pansonic camera that used 120MB floppy discs and then only Olympus and Fuji cameras. All of them gave been go and gotten good results for me.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2007, 10:44 PM   #4

$400 is a pretty good chunk of change for a digital camera - you could get one of the best superzooms on the market, the Fuji S6000fd, for under $350.

As far as smaller cameras go, the Fuji F-series is quite good. The F30/31 are about as good as it gets in low light, and the F650, while not using Fuji's Super CCD sensor, delivers quality images, pretty good performance, and has a lovely 3" LCD. I bought one a couple months ago for $79 after $20 mail-in-rebate, though I haven't seen the same deal recently.

What size xD cards do you have?
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2007, 12:16 AM   #5

Thank you for the replies.

Yeah, i keep seeing really cheap small cameras but none have what i really want, so im thinking to spend a little more that is a better camera. Im looking at small pocket cameras.

My current camera is a Fuji Finepix S9500, which can be a little big to carry around all the time.

I have about 5 XD memory cards - all 1GB
Old Jun 24, 2007, 9:15 PM   #6

What features, exactly, are you looking for in the camera?

evoke wrote:
Quote:
Thank you for the replies.

Yeah, i keep seeing really cheap small cameras but none have what i really want, so im thinking to spend a little more that is a better camera. Im looking at small pocket cameras.

My current camera is a Fuji Finepix S9500, which can be a little big to carry around all the time.

I have about 5 XD memory cards - all 1GB
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 4:32 AM   #7

I would like to be able to change the ISO and shutter speed, runs on AA batteries ( i find these better than the Li-Ion type. you can always pick up batteries somewhere if they go flat) and it needs to use XD cards. Just a small little compact camera that can take good quality photos.

thanks.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 4:49 AM   #8

To the best of my knowledge, there are only two current Fuji compact cameras that use AA batteries, and neither have aperture and shutter priority options...same with Olympus. I understand your love of AA battteries, but most of the compact cams on the market us Li-Ion due to size and weight.

I think the F31fd would complement your S9500 nicely (no AA's, but decent battery life).

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 6:02 AM   #9

Thanks for the reply. I am starting to think i might have to get one with a Li-Ion battery instead. I do have an old kodak camera that uses one and the battery does last quite well. I would rather have better control and excellent quality in pictures than just OK.

The only one i've narrowed it down to is the Fuji A800 but have read bad reviews on picture quality, as wel as the Olympus FE210.

I'll check out the Fuji F31fd. D

oes any one know of any other compact cameras that take great quality photos? Either battery type but uses XD? Does any of the compact type have a optical viewfinder?

I dont want to buy a cheapy camera. Rather spend a bit more and get better quality.

Thanks!