Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 24, 2007, 7:27 PM   #1

Friends are asking me to shoot them skating, and Im wondering if the Go-HD is a good idea, id have good light and be outdoorson most dys, does anyone have an idea for me?

Or should I get the zr800 and just use the sd card function and when i want a tape use mini dv's? (I dont have a firewire port) which would bebetter?
Zerorider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2007, 11:22 PM   #2

Zerorider13, I hate to tell you this, but this forum is for digital cameras, not camcorders. I can tell you this, though, if you cannot use firewire, your gonna have a tough time finding a camcorder in that price range that will use usb. There is another alternative- if you have a vcr at home you can get a vhs-c camcorder and view the tape on your vcr. I recently had 50 years worth of 8mm movies transferred to vhs tape, then I transferred them to my computer, for editing in a video editing program I have. It's an extra step for you, but it will work.

BTW, I don't think the canon allows the use of memory card. Just mini dv.

Look at this as an examplehttp://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Custo...Review.do#tabs

I hve a sony hc42 but I have a firewire port or two on my computer.

There may be a firewire "card" that you can install on your computer to give you that capability.

Hope I helped, Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:12 AM   #3

Oh, im not sure if that meant dont reply but w/e if not delete this, I checked a friends zr800 and I guess yur right, well this s my only oppurtunity hen I guess. Ill just get the HD, if you can tel me this, ow much woud this card cst and how would i install it?
Old Jun 25, 2007, 8:42 AM   #4

This firewire card is probably(depending on where you get it) between 20 and 50 dollars us. Again, they are most likely available at computer stores, Best Buy, Office Depot, etc. As far as install goes, you just power the pc down, take the cover off, stick the card in an empty slot, and let windows find it on your boot-up. Piece of cake, really.

The only other thing you'll need is a capture device. If your pc has movie maker then you are all set.

My computer is a multimedia pc, so it came ready for video. Its my understanding that if your computer doesn't have a capture card, then you would need one of those as well. Alot to think about, I have been there so I know how frustrating it can be. Good luck...Robert
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:54 PM   #5

Ok thnks installing i sounded harder than I thought. SO Id put the card in then how woud I use he firewire?
Old Jun 25, 2007, 8:33 PM   #6

Zerorider, assuming you have a firewire card installed correctly as well as a capture card, (which may or may not have come with your pc), all you have to do is connect the cable from the camcorder to the pc. When you open your video software, your camcorder should appear in a dialogue box within the program. The rest is pretty intuitive, depending on the program used.

So, in order for all this to work, you need:

1)Firewire card in the pc

2) Capture card in the pc

3) Video editing software

As I said earlier, you may have a video editing program on your pc, depending on which version of windows you have installed. If you do, then you should have a capture card already installed.

Hope this helps.. Robert
Old Jun 27, 2007, 11:59 PM   #7

Aiptek Go-HD
SC-X205L
SC-X00L

THose are oth liks to the SC-X205L.

m wndering because the samsungs say Sport, if it is a better camera to skate with, can anyone help me?