Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 25, 2007, 1:51 PM   #1

Hey Steve's!

This will be my first digital camera ever!

I've sort of narrowed to a few choices:

CANON
- A570 IS -MOST LIKEABLE SO FAR
- SD800 IS -HAVE NOT SEEN
- SD850 IS -HAVE NOT SEEN

IS technology looks amazing, so I can pretty much eliminate the SD750 and SD1000 I was considering.

SONY
- DSCS800 -HAVE NOT SEEN
- DSCN2 -NO TOO SMALL
- DSCW80 -NO TOO SMALL
- DSCW90 -NO TOO SMALL

Any listed with image stabilization?

NIKON
- S10 -NO TAKES WEIRD BATTERY
- S500 -NO TOO SMALL

FUJI

- S6000fd -HAVE NOT SEEN

These cameras range from 6-8mp

So what's the big difference between the companies I chose? Lens? Usability? How's the software/firmware updates?

Things I want:

- As much optical zoom as possible
- Able to take wide pictures (16:9). I'll be viewing on a wide monitor why not?*
- Excellent quality in varying conditions. I love astronomy, I could be taking night pictures or using this camping.
- Optical viewfinder...just feels much easier taking motion*
- Can perform/use at high ISO
- Great at macro (close up)...for latte art picture taking:-)
- Reads lots of media (do they all use SD? or is there proprietary flash memory per manufacturer?)
- Take lithium batteries (they last the longest right?)
- $300-400
- does not have to be slim or pocket size

*optional

Any other suggestions are welcome!

I'm going to visit Henry's today to have a browse :?

Thanks everyone
Jarrett84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2007, 9:27 PM   #2

looks to me like your current list has a lot of tradeoffs.

i've gotten to know the fuji S6000fd recently (although i bought the S9100) and it uses xD cards, which was one of the reasons i got the S9100. on the other hand, if you're not getting a DSLR, the S6000 has the best low light abilities i've seen outside a DSLR - its ISO 400 seems to have the same amount of noise as other digicams' ISO 200.

i read a LOT of reviews at a lot of sites - as far as i can tell, no other digicam touches the S6000's lower light abilities, and it does offer ISO 3200. what it doesn't offer is image stabilization, so if you're planning to shoot only in low light without a tripod, it's probably not an option for you. but it does good macros and i've heard that fuji's customer service is pretty reasonable.

i'm a little curious why the S3-IS didn't make your list. seems like it would be worth serious consideration.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 10:15 PM   #3

thanks i'll do some looking up on the S3-IS

it likely isn't up there because of price, however now that I have researched more the capabilities I want, I know that it may be in the higher end of what I wanted to spend. This ISO stuff I had no clue about, but it makes such perfect sense when I looked at reviews @ dcresource.com

*edit wanted to get a recent model! S3 is from last July I think
Old Jun 26, 2007, 9:15 AM   #4

You might also want to check the Kodak Z712. The Z712, along with the very similar Z612is/are the smallest, lightest superzooms with IS. The Z612s high ISO is about the same as the S3. The Z712 has better high ISO capability although it's still not up to the Fuji S6000fd.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 6:46 AM   #5

I own both a DSLR (Pentax K10d) and the Fuji s6000fd, and love both of them. The Fuji's low-light capability is everything that reviews and users say it is. It's truly outstanding. I bought the Fuji for shooting night time soccer in high school stadiums with generally weak lighting systems, and it far exceeded my expectations. Unless I suddenly have someone force me to accept an extra thousand dollars for an f2.8 zoom for my DSLR, I will continue to use the Fuji for that purpose next season.

However, I think people tend to focus so much on the Fuji's low-light capabilities that they forget how capable of a camera it is in daylight. I used the Fuji to shoot my son's wedding this spring and got images that were very comparable to those possible with a DSLR. It's colors are really vibrant and DOF is better than the average POS.

Another real advantage that I have found with the Fuji is that it has the advanced controls needed for customization of shooting, but it can also be used without much difficulty in point-and-shoot mode. One of the reasons I got a DSLR to go with my Fuji was that my wife wanted to go out shooting some, but she didn't want to fool with custom settings, etc. She just wanted a superzoom that is easy to use. When we go out together, the Fuji is her camera, and she often records shots as good or better than mine just using the automatic modes.

It has three notable drawbacks, however: 1) No image stabilization--how much of an issue this is varies according to the user 2) Many people do not like the xD card format it uses--never been a problem for me. 3) It is larger and more "DSLR feeling" than most of the cameras in its class--I have big hands and this is an advantage to me, but for many it is a drawback because it's not so easy to tuck into a pocket or a purse.

Because I haven't used the other cameras on your list, I can't really comment on them.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 10:15 AM   #6

More or less lowered down to...

Sony
DSC-H2 or H5 (don't know price, checking locally today)
DSC-S800

Canon
S3-IS
A570 IS

Fuji
S6000fd

Is it possible to setup a digital camera to photograph the stars? Like those long exposure film pictures where you see the earth moving? :-)

Thanks so much guys!!!
Old Jun 27, 2007, 4:59 PM   #7

Now none of the Canon, or too expensive for comparable features.

Only comparable Sony I'd want is the H7 (H2 and H5 discontinued)

Probably going to get the S6000fd...anywhere to find a good deal in Canada? I went to a Henry's. I'd prefer to buy locally near Toronto.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 9:46 PM   #8

I'd be real surprised if you couldn't still brand new H2/H5s
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 7:12 PM   #9

New S6000fd owner :-)