Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 27, 2007, 6:37 PM   #1

The S3 IS costs 300$. The new S5 IS costs 500$(!) and all it adds is an extra 0.5" to the screen and 2 MPs.

Unfourtunetely, those are the 2 things that I thought the S3 IS lacked in, so it bothers me to see the S5 IS as a "prestige" item with such an un-reasonably high price point. Even the H7 is cheaper now, and it's got identical specs!

Makes me wonder if I should just get the A710 IS since it not only has 7MPs but also the 2.5" screen and its half the size of the S3 IS.. It's just.. not as 'cool' and professional looking.
Track is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2007, 6:43 PM   #2

It's marketing. In a month or two the S5 will be $399. Canon is simply looking to get the $$ from impatient sorts who need to have the "latest and greatest". It happens all the time in nearly all market segments.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 7:05 PM   #3

It seems to me that there are two big marketing times for cameras:

1. Late Spring-Early Summer - when people buy new cameras to take vacation photos.

2. Late Autumn - when people buy new cameras to take holiday photos, and as gifts.

We're in Late Spring-Early Summer right now, plus the S5 IS is brand new, in short supply,and people are waiting in line to buy it. The price should come down in a few months.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 7:55 PM   #4

Yeh, but this time it's different because we have the H7 out for much less and it's identical.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 8:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Yeh, but this time it's different because we have the H7 out for much less and it's identical.
But they are not identical. Also, Canon is a bigger name in cameras than Sony. I've seen plenty of people demand that their next camera be Canon, but I haven't seen that with Sony. Also, at least from the early reviews, the Canon S5 is apparently has higher build quality than the Sony H7/H9.

Why are you obsessing over this? The Sony has been out for a little while, and so it can be purchased for under MSRP - this was NOT the case when it was initially released. The same will follow suit with the Canon.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 8:43 PM   #6

Buildingspecs. is easy.Building performance is hard.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 9:15 PM   #7

Amen, brother!

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
Buildingspecs. is easy.Building performance is hard.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 9:20 PM   #8

Building performance?

And I'm not obsessed. I'm one of the people who must have Canon, even though it's irrational.

I just thought the H7/H9 had just come out, much like the S5.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 9:42 PM   #9

Track wrote:
Quote:
And I'm not obsessed. I'm one of the people who must have Canon, even though it's irrational.
You are just who the marketers at Canon are looking for!

You have no choice otherthan to buy the S5, so just do it. You know that's what you want to do. More importantly, you know that's what you're going to do, so just do it.

It was not that long ago that the S3 cost $400, and the S5 offers more additions than you're thinking about. That dedicated hot shoe, whether you plan to use it or not, adds to the cost as well.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 10:13 PM   #10

There are two functions here:

1) Initial cost of goods is always more for a new product to reflect the initial production ramp-up. The cost of maintianing production goes down over time, so they can drop the price. Also, Better and Newer products will come out over the product's lifespan, and the price has to be lowered to remain attractive.

2) Supply and demand.People who have to have the latest and greatest at the time whensupply is limited encourage distributors and end-sellers to charge full list or as close as they can to it. Why sell for less when they can't replace the product fast enough to keep sales going?

So yes, I look at the opening prices and my options are:

Bite the bullet and pay the $500. Ouch. Maybe I can find it for $450, but even at $400 I'm not wholey convinced it is worth the price premium.

Pay $500 and get the Nikon D40 instead. Yes, I'd still have to buy a zoom lens, but honestly,at$500 it would seem the smarter buy.

Wait for the S5 price to come down. Be prepared for a wait - my bet is that the S5 will eventually cost $300, probably at the time that Canon releases it's replacement, the S6.

Buy something that has been out a while like the S3.The price of the S3 is extremely attractive in comparison to the S5 at the moment.

TheCorsair is offline   Reply With Quote