Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 30, 2007, 12:39 PM   #11

TCAV

Thanks for the info, I hadn't even considered that one. Looking at it, it sounds quite good, would you have a suggestion of a longer reach lenses to par it with? Ken suggested (if going Canon) the 70-200 F4. Everytime I think I've found something, you guys come up with better options.
wet coast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2007, 12:54 PM   #12

Lesmore49

Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. I agree regarding the Pentax, even though I love my old K1000 film. I just don't have any lenses anymore so that's why I'm not focused on Pentax only. All 3 cameras felt good in my hands, I found the 30d and d80 a better fit for my hands. I know that the d80 is more plastic feeling, but I guess that's the trade off if your carrying it around a lot.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 1:09 PM   #13

wet coast wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the info, I hadn't even considered that one. Looking at it, it sounds quite good, would you have a suggestion of a longer reach lenses to par it with? Ken suggested (if going Canon) the 70-200 F4.
I agree about the Canon 70-200 f/4. It's a fine lens.

An equivalent for the Nikon would be the 80-200 f/2.8. It's a little more expensive, but a full f-stop brighter.

wet coast wrote:
Quote:
Everytime I think I've found something, you guys come up with better options.
Get used to it. That won't ever change. If you keep putting off a purchase because something better is on the horizon, you'll never buying anything.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2007, 1:42 PM   #14

lesmore49 wrote:
Quote:
The thing that gave me the jitters was the demise of Minolta-Konica...
I was alsobothered by the aquisition of KM by Sony, but it makes sense. Minolta has a long history of inovation (first commercially successful autofocus SLR, first shutter priority autoexposure system in an SLR, etc.) as does Sony. And both Sony and Minolta have had a long standing relationship with Zeiss (Minolta in still photography, Sony in video), so the line of superb lenses will continue. (I just wish I could afford one or two of them.)
Old Jul 2, 2007, 12:00 AM   #15

TCAV,

I was also looking at the 80-200 f2.8 as an option for Nikon. The only thing I found was that it wasn't rated as high for sharpness, compared to the Canon 70-200, on the slrgear site. I also wanted to ask if that is a good site to go by for info, it seems to be good? I'm not necessarily waiting for the next big thing to come out, but just trying to make sure that what I do get, I end up with a good combo that I'll not be regretting in the near future. I do have to admit I'm getting fed up not already having a camera now. I was originallylooking at the20d but just as I started, the the 30d came out and the 20d was discontinued, then the d80.So just when I thought I had something, I was thrown a tempting other option. I considered waiting to see what Canon comes out with next 40d?, but then I'm sure Nikon will come out with something else, and I've wasted a lot of picture taking time.

Old Jul 2, 2007, 5:15 AM   #16

wet coast wrote:
Quote:
I was also looking at the 80-200 f2.8 as an option for Nikon. The only thing I found was that it wasn't rated as high for sharpness, compared to the Canon 70-200, on the slrgear site.
Yes. SLRGear.com, PhotoDo.Com, and PhotoZone.DE all give the Canon 70-200f/4 higher marks than the Nikon 80-200 f/2.8, but only slightly. And both lenses receive very high marks, much higher than most other lenses of their type. So I think this is a case of splitting hairs.

There are four companies that make the best lenses in the world: Canon, Nikon, Leica, and Zeiss. And Canon and Nikon have the broadest selections by far, though a fair portion of each of their product lines is made up of consumer grade glass at consumer grade prices. But we haven't been talking about those.

If you were talking about the Nikon D40 or D40x, I would caution you about the limited selection of lenses because those cameras don't have their own autofocus motor, but you're not. So the cameras you're talking about with the lenses you're talking about would be fine choices whichever way you choose to go.

At this level, there's very little that distinguishes one camera from the other, or one lens from another, or even one product line from another. I think you've thought this out well and made some fine choices. I think the only thing left is for you to pick the one that feels best in your hands.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 5:50 PM   #17

Thanks regarding the sites, one I hadn't looked at was PhotoDo.com, I'll have to check that one out. Also thanks regarding my choices, I'm just trying to be as best informed as I can be, before laying out the coin. So I"thought" this is what I've narrowed it down too, for Canon and/or Nikon the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, and then (C) 70-200 f/4 lens and (N) the 80-200 f/2.8? I'll also have to look at a equivalent 50mm 1.4 or 1.8 for either camera line. But now that I've narrowed down some choices and started doing the math,I've realized I'm pushingover my budget. I'm not sure I'll have something left over for a good cary bag, or memory cards etc.I might have to re-think the longer range lens choice. I think the Tamron is a good everyday short range choice, so I'd like to stay with that,but as far as the longer ones, I'll have to wait or think of another option. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated and also for all the help so far.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 6:22 PM   #18

wet coast wrote:
Quote:
So I"thought" this is what I've narrowed it down too, for Canon and/or Nikon the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, and then (C) 70-200 f/4 lens and (N) the 80-200 f/2.8? I'll also have to look at a equivalent 50mm 1.4 or 1.8 for either camera line. But now that I've narrowed down some choices and started doing the math,I've realized I'm pushingover my budget.
Well, the Canon 70-200 f/4 is about US$200 cheaper than the Nikon 80-200 f/2.8, and the Canon 50mm f1.8 is a smidgen cheaper than the Nikon 50mm f/1.4, but the Nikon D80 is about US$125 cheaper than the Canon 30D.

This is a tough choice, but, looking only at the specs, what would do it for me is the 10MP sensor in the D80 vs. the 8MP sensor in the 30D. And if I had to, I'd postpone purchasing the 50mm lens.

BTW, these are "body only" prices, right? You're not getting any of the kit lenses, are you?

wet coast wrote:
Quote:
I might have to re-think the longer range lens choice. I think the Tamron is a good everyday short range choice, so I'd like to stay with that,but as far as the longer ones, I'll have to wait or think of another option. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated and also for all the help so far.
Hey, you want a bright telephoto zoom, that's what they cost. Nobody makes anything near as good for less money.

But if you don't mind going used, KEH.Com has some Canon 70-200 f/4 and Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 lenses that could save you some money.

Of course, Canadian Customs could eat up any savings.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 9:26 PM   #19

TCav,

I agree it is a tough choice, and I will probably have to hold off on the 50mm for a bit. Yes we are talking body only, there is a sale on right now with the mail in rebate with Canon that would get me the 30d with the 17-85IS usm lens for about $1600 can. Where as the Nikon D80 is $1350 with the 18-70 lens. So Body only (C) is $1250 and (N) $1050, and then start adding things on top. I know you get what you pay for and I prefer to get new for now as this is my 1st DSLR and then I know I'm getting something new apposed to used. Doesn't mean down the road I won't be buying used but not now. I'll just have to bit the bullet and dig deeper into the pockets and start enjoying. Thanks again.

Old Jul 4, 2007, 11:46 AM   #20

I've re-thought what I can afford and what I can get and heres what I've come up with, curious your opinion. If the 30d or the d80 I'll get the Tam 17-50 f/2.8 and in either one the 50mm 1.8 and then for C the 70-300 Is USM and for N the 70-200 VR.