Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 28, 2007, 3:07 PM   #1

Previous experience ? Only with a Canon A520

I want to start learning on how to take good pics indoors/outdoors andI mean all kind of pictures, people at day/night, car race at day/night,macro shoots, portraits, landscapes, moon, etc. So i need somethingwith a good overall performance.I want to spend max 350 USD willing to stay as low as possible.

My options are Canon S3 IS, Kodak Z710 or Z712, Panasonic FZ7s or FZ8 orTZ3, Fuji s700. I'm not considering the S6000 because i have a lot of SD Cards. (Is out there anything else that fit my needs? )

Ohh yeah i alwaysresize my pics to a max of 1280x960 or 1024x768. The biggest size i will print will be 4x6.

My main concern is taking pics at night first of all i want to have less noise possible, and also the less shot to shot time using the flash.

So what would you recommend to a newbie.?

Thanks a lot.

cybermaniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2007, 4:09 PM   #2

The best low light cameras are the Fujis. I think by far the best is the S6000fd, which you are not considering because it uses xD, not SD cards.

Of the remaining candidates, I would pick one of those which has IS (image stabilization) because low light implies slower shutter speeds, and slower shutter speeds make it easy for blurry pictures to occur because of hand shake. Therefore, I would pick either the Canon S3 IS or the Kodak Z712. The Panasonics do have IS and are good daylight cameras, but most things that I have read indicate lots of noise at the higher ISO's. I would also urge you to consider the Kodak Z612, which can be gotten for about $200. Its build quality is not as good as that of the Z712. However, in other respects, it's pretty close.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 4:53 PM   #3

Just out of curiosity, why are you holding off on the camera that seems to best suit your needs (Fuji S6000) over a $20 xD card?

Otherwise, I agree with Robbo - the Canon S3 and the Kodaks. If you read the reviews at DCResource.com, they have sample pics that show the noise characteristics of each camera at various ISOs.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 9:34 PM   #4

Just don't get no better than this. Should fit all your needs except one. And that is the wallet.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html
:-)
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 10:10 PM   #5

Post makes no sense... this Leica is essentially the twin of the Panasonic FZ50 which, for all of its virtues, is a poor low-light performer, and has noise issues at all ISOs.

gryphonslair99 wrote:
Quote:
Just don't get no better than this. Should fit all your needs except one. And that is the wallet.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html
:-)
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 10:21 PM   #6

cybermaniak wrote:
Quote:
options are Canon S3 IS, Kodak Z710 or Z712, Panasonic FZ7s or FZ8 orTZ3, Fuji s700. .............My main concern is taking pics at night first of all i want to have less noise possible,
Have you seen that the capabilities of the Z712, including high iso, and low light, and links to specimen shots have been discussed recently in the 'Kodak' forum at...

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=18...

and other threads round there?

Good luck!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote