Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 29, 2007, 5:48 AM   #1

I just want a DSLR with a walkaround lens ,

Hesitationg between a Canon 400D (XTi Rebel) with Canon 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS or Nikon D80 with Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5.

Price is about the same (Canon being 60 euro cheaper) , which would give me the best results ? which of these 2 lenses is the best ? sharpness & colour rendering ?

I think the battery capacity of the Nikon is way higher then the Canon or am i mistaken ? i should therefore buy the Canon battery grip to have the same capacity then the Nikon without battery grip.
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2007, 6:48 AM   #2

I don't know about the Canon lens, but the Nikon 18-70 is a really good lens with extremely fast autofocus and high quality image. I do know that the build quality of the Nikon is better than the Canon (both camera and lens).

Obviously the Nikon 18-70 is a faster lens than the Canon 18-85.

I have a Nikon D70S with the 18-70 and I would recommend that lens over the 18-135.

You will have to handle both cameras and see which camera appeals to you more. This is very important, because the more you are comfortable with your camera and like the features of the camera, the more you will use it.

They are both very good cameras and I would not let the difference in megapixels decide for me. As I said, I have a D70S which is a 6 megapixel and I really enjoy this camera.

You cannot go wrong with either camera and therefore the most important thing for you right now is to decide which one you feel the most comfortable with. Lenses can always be added.

But I beleive (from reviews I have read) that the Nikon kit lens is superior to the canon kit lens.

Good luck with whatever camera you choose and I know you will enjoy your purchase once you decide.
PhotoFusion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 6:48 AM   #3

Duplicate post!
PhotoFusion2 is offline   Reply With Quote