Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 29, 2007, 11:40 AM   #1

I have decided to go with a good and fast point and shoot camera. I had asked help earlier but have now decided to just get a point and shoot instead of a DSLR because I got scared away because of my being very much an amateur. I am afraid that I would pay that much money and not end up being able to get the best out of the camera. So, now I would like advise on the best point and shoot camera to purchase. I would be taking pics of my little boy (7 months) and maybe some outdoor pics of flowers and landscape and things. I had looked at maybe a sony H9 or canon S5 IS. I have been reading up some on these cameras but have only actually held the H9 recently. Which of these 2 cameras is probably a better camera? And if there is any other camera that is just as good or better, please tell me, so that I can look at them too.

Thanks for any help.
jessicawc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2007, 11:49 AM   #2

What is your experience with digital cameras. What cameras have you owned/used?

Is there a reason that you want a superzoom? The latest superzoom?

You could save some money by getting a Canon S3 IS or Sony H5. Both are very good cameras.

There are lots of "fast" smaller point and shoots? Will you be taking many pictures in low light?
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 1:05 PM   #3

I have not been very experienced in cameras at all. That is why I decided to stick with a point and shoot because I am afraid that I would not be able to work with a DSLR very well. I am not strictly for the H9 or S5 IS. I had just heard that they are good. I just want very good quality photos. I had a Kodak C330, so anything would be an improvement from that. It took forever to take a photo.

I guess I would like to have a camera with pretty good zoom because I might take some nature photos too, so I figured I would need a pretty good zoom to do that.

You mentioned the H5, why did not you not mention the H7? Is the H5 better than the H7 or something? Our local Wal-Mart has the H7, but not the H5.

I definitely need a fast point and shoot because I will be taking mostly pictures of my 7 month old baby. Yea, I guess I will be taking pictures in low light, like in the house and things, but I guess I could make sure that we have the lights on and that would not be considered low light, I guess, unless I had to use the flash right? Is that what you mean by low light? What situations would you classify as low light?
jessicawc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 1:51 PM   #4

The cameras you mentioned just came out, so you will pay a premium for them. Hot new cameras are usually expensive for a few months. I gave a friend a Kodak C330. It's ok for a basic camera but almost anything you buy new nowadays will be much faster and much better.

I recommend the Canon S3 IS. It's available for under $300 online. My brother has it and likes it. It has 12X optical zoom with image stabilization (hence, the IS part of its name).

Low light indoors means probably with the light turned off during the day (just natural light). It doesn't mean pitch black. There are two ways to take care of this. One is to use a flash, which maybe Mr./Ms. Baby will not like very much. The second is to use a higher ISO setting. As the ISO setting increases, so does the "noise" in the picture. A few cameras, notably the Fujis (S6000fd, F20, F30, F31fd, and F40) have comparatively little noise at high ISO's). If you wanted just a 3X optical zoom, I would recommend the F31fd.

Anyway, I am sure others here will give you other advice. Good luck!

robbo is offline   Reply With Quote