Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 29, 2007, 3:21 PM   #1

I've tried searching this forum, as well as NewEgg and the like, so now I'll ask some people who know what they're doing...

I'm looking for a digital point-n-shoot with an equivalentfocal length of25-30mm. Most of the units I've seen are around 35mm, so that's the real trick. I'm hoping for around 28mm. Some optical zoom is needed, but we don't need to go crazy. It doesn't need to be more than 6 MP and should be less than $400. I'm flexible on memory card formats and battery packs (though I prefer AA).

I'm trying to replace our beloved Canon PowerShot S60. (Somebodylost it somewhere.) We've had a few cheap Sony DSC-Sxxxmodels as well as two Samsung A55W's (which I bought for the wider angle). Those who take the pictures don't like the Sonys and the one A55W that didn't break after 6 months takes mediocre pictures, particularly indoors.

The camera is for real estate purposes, so the images would be entirely of the inside & outside of homes, apartments, etc.

All I've found so far that meet my goals is the Panasonic DMC-FX30A, but I can't find any solid reviews on it.

Any other suggestions would be great.

UltraJim17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2007, 4:41 PM   #2

After perusing Steve's-Digicams : TheBest Cameras : Ultra Compact Pocketable, I see that they're all about the same: film camera equivalent of 35mm wide angle.

So I expanded my search to include the 6-10 Megapixel Point & Shoots, and found the same thing.

So I checked the 5 Megapixel Point & Shoots. Same thing.

Ilooked through the 10-12X Optical "Super" Zoom category, and found just one digicam that goes wider than the 35mm equivalent of 35-38mm. That digicam is the Fuji FinePix S6000fd. It goes as wide as a 28mm lens on a 35mm film camera. That's a 75 degree angle of view as opposed to the 63 degree (or less) angle of view provided by the others on the list. So, I think the FinePix S6000fd is better suited to your purposes than the other cameras on Steve's "Best Cameras" list, if all we consider is the wide angle capability of the lens.

There may be others, but not on Steve's Best List.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2007, 8:20 AM   #3

Check out the Canon SD800is. Goes down to 28mm.
ronsec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2007, 11:20 AM   #4

Review of the FX30: http://www.neocamera.com/review_pana...fx30_more.html
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2007, 10:06 AM   #5

Ricoh makes a couple: the Capilo R6 (28-200mm) and the Capilo GX100 (24-72mm), if you can find them.

Stephanie

sjseto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2007, 1:31 PM   #6

I didn't have a great deal of time to spend on this, so we went with the Canon SD800 IS. All things considered, it's probably easier to use than the Fuji, and aside from the specs that was a big concern.

Before handing it off to the user I took a few pictures in my office, and I was really impressed with it. It took a few shots of stuff on my desk that other cameras have done poorly.The image stablizer seems very effective. I have an A640 at home, and the SD800 is definitely quicker to focus and take pictures, and smarter on what it focuses on.

Personally I prefer a bigger device like the S60 or my A640, as I have fairly large hands.The door that covers the USB port fits in to the device kind of oddly, and one has to be careful of that. (My A640's door is worse, though. I'd rather have no door at all like the S60.) I also don't quite understand why Canon feels the need to include a 16 MB card. I have a little collection of theseguys in the office that I'll probably never be able to find a use for.

Other than that, I can give a smiley to the Canon SD800 IS. Thanks!
UltraJim17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2007, 5:12 PM   #7

:?Does the DS800 IS have a view finder as well? Review does not say and that is important to me.
picklesnouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2007, 5:20 PM   #8

Go here: http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-came...-32069607.html

It appears to have a view finder.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 8:18 PM   #9

YEEEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH Baby......this should work for the wife as she is a real estate agent and wide angle with a view finder is a must for my Babe!!
picklesnouts is offline   Reply With Quote