Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 30, 2007, 3:31 PM   #11

TCav wrote:
Quote:
That still leaves the Nikkor 200mm f/2.0, but putting a $4,000 lens on a D40 strikes me as a bit odd.
Not to mention the wrong focal length.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2007, 7:53 PM   #12

Some people (like me) will find IS very important, while others won't care about it at all.

The K100 has image stabilization built into the camera body so any lens you put on the camera is stabilized. This helps with slow shutter speeds as well as with long lenses. Nikon only offers stabilization in specific lenses (more expensive versions). I've been very happy with the K100's SR (shake reduction) - it comes in handy for hand-holding night street scenes on the Las Vegas strip with a wide angle lens. It also means that I can buy a $30. lens (like my 135mm 2.5) and have it stabilized, something my budget appreciates.

As far as fast lenses - if you are fairly close to the action, the FA 50mm 1.4 is an excellent lens. I use a manual 1.7 lens that I bought in 1980 (you can probably pick one of these up for well under $100 through keh or ebay). There are other options for fast primes, such as the 77mm 1.8 Limited, a lens with a great reputation. There's at least one person who regularly contributes to the Pentax section of this board and posts wonderful pictures of his daughter's volleyball and indoor basketball games.

Best thing to do is go down and handle both cameras. There are size differences and the menus are different - see if you prefer one over the other. Then decide which lenses would meet your particular needs. Both cameras will take excellent pictures, and you'll be happy with either one.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 1:32 PM   #13

I've handled both cameras a few times and I think the D40 feels the best to me.

As far as a lens for indoor sports I saw (on B&H) a Nikon Telephoto AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Autofocus Lens that seems reasonably priced. Would this do the job for indoor volleyball? If it doesn't autofocus, will the D40 let me know when the camera is in focus?

Thanks,

BVM
Biff vonMises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 1:37 PM   #14

No the camera doesn't let you know when it's in focus - you have to judge that for yourself.

I'm going to warn you again - unless you have experience with shooting shallow DOF sports with manual focus, you're asking for trouble. Your DOF is only a couple of inches. So if you pre-focus and your subject moves toward you at the last second you won't have time to re-focus. Manual focus when you have a DOF of several feet isn't as much of a problem for something like volleyball (i.e. if it were outside) - but inches? For anyone telling you it isn't a problem - have them show you their manual focused indoor volleyball shots.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 1:54 PM   #15

Biff vonMises wrote:
Quote:
As far as a lens for indoor sports I saw (on B&H) a Nikon Telephoto AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Autofocus Lens that seems reasonably priced. Would this do the job for indoor volleyball? If it doesn't autofocus, will the D40 let me know when the camera is in focus?
This is the shortcoming of the Nikon D40/D40x. Because the body doesn't have an internal autofocus motor, the only lenses that can autofocus with it are the Nikkor AF-S & AF-I, and Sigma HSM lenses.

The 85mm f/1.8 you refer to, will not autofocus on the D40/D40x. In fact, the only bright telephoto lenses that will are the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG Macro and the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR, but they cost about $900 and $1,600, respectively.

And...

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
2.8 typically isn't fast enough for indoor sports below collegiate level - you need 2.0 and 1.8 apertures.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 1:57 PM   #16
Administrator

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
No the camera doesn't let you know when it's in focus - you have to judge that for yourself.
Actually, it will.

Even though the body doesn't have a motor to drive the focus mechanism in the lens, the AF sensors still function and you'll get a green focus lock in the viewfinder when your manual focus settings are within tolerance.

Given the viewfinder design in most DSLR models, I'd hate to use one that way, especially with sports (watching for a dot to turn green in the viewfinder while trying to determine the best focus). But, some D40 owners seem to be OK with using that technique and it works with your selected focus point (3 to choose from with this model).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 1:57 PM   #17

So I may experience some (or a lot) frustration until I learn to "focus fast".

Does the K100D have and internal autofocus motor?

BVM
Biff vonMises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 2:03 PM   #18

Biff vonMises wrote:
Quote:
Does the K100D have and internal autofocus motor?
Yes. The Nikon D40 & D40x are unique in that respect.

But bright telephoto lenses are almost the exclusive domain of Canon and Nikon.

The few noteable exceptions are the Pentax 70mm f/2.4 and 77mm f/1.8, the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 and 100-300mm f/4, and some very expensive lenses from Olympus and Sony/Zeiss.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 2:13 PM   #19

Jim - thanks for the heads-up. Always good to learn something new.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 2:13 PM   #20

K100 does have an internal focus motor, and any AF lens will work on it (look for DA, FA or F lenses when looking around for new or used lenses). A, M, and K lenses will also work, but these are all manual focus lenses (that's the way they were made). Any M42 screwmount lenses will work with an adaptor, but they will be completely manual lenses (camera can't stop down the lens as there is no connection between camera and lens).

For fast primes, the FA 50mm 1.4 has a very good reputation and I know of at least one person who uses it for indoor sports. If I were doing that a lot, I'd probably invest in an FA 77mm 1.8 Limited - it has an excellent reputation and is supposed to be really sharp. I've used an A*300mm f4 lens for outdoor sports and have been really pleased with the results (bought used last year for $500 - excellent lens). It's depth of field is bigger (slower lens) so it's manual focus isn't as much of a problem as it would be with a faster lens.

Thanks for clarifying that the D40 will at least let you know when its in focus. The K100 does, also, though I leave the "beep" on and go by that instead of the green light.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote