Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 29, 2007, 5:37 PM   #1

I looking for my first dSLR. I've narrowed it down to the D40 and the K100D. I'll be using it mostly for family, travel and my sons sporting events.

Will the K100D IS make a big difference?

Thanks,

BVM
Biff vonMises is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2007, 6:24 PM   #2

They are both fine cameras. Either would serve you well.

The major difference between them is the IS. The Pentax has it in the body, while the D40 has it only in certain lenses.

IS is usually only of substantial value when you're using long lenses. You state that your primary uses would be "family, travel and my sons sporting events." Family shots will usually be indoors, or sometimes outdoor groups, presumable using wide angle lenses, and IS won't have much benefit there. For travel photography, you might occasionally use a telephoto lens to capture distant subjects, and IS can help there. When shooting sports, you need to keep the shutter speed fast to catch the action and eliminate motion blur, but in doing so, you'll also be eliminating blur due to camera shake. UNLESS YOU SHOOT WHILE PANNING.

Panning is the technique of following a subject with the camera and takinga photograph while doing so. The result of this technique is a crisp clear image of the subject in front of a blurred background. This kind of technique is applicable for certain sports but not others. For instance, panning would be good for football but not for baseball.

So without knowing exactly what you'd be using your camera for, it's hard for me to tell you whether IS will do you any good.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 6:28 PM   #3
Super Moderator

IS is not going to make a difference for sporting events as it will not help freeze action rather it will only reduce camera shake. The shutter speed is what freezes the action.

I would say the best way to choose is to look at the entire systems and see what lenses you think you might benefit from in the next few years. To do this imagine you have $5000 to spend on lenses and which system gives it.

There are other things to look at too, one of the main ones being how the camera feels in your hand, this is important as you will probably spend a lot of time holding it and if it is not comfortable this will detract from you wanting to shoot which is never good.

Going Pentax you have a huge range of lenses available at a good price as there are loads of MF lenses on the market. Now this can help a lot when trying to keep the price down, especially for your sons sports as you will really want f2.8 glass to assist with shutter speeds and to get the subject to stand out better (not saying sports can't be done with slower glass but it is a big help and there are times when f2.8 is not enough).

Hopefully that's helpful.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 7:46 PM   #4

I would also look close at the Pentax K10D. It's weather sealed (something only higher tier DSLR cameras have).
Old Jun 29, 2007, 8:27 PM   #5

This is great information!

My son plays volleyball, so most of the movement is limited to a small area, with lots of jumping. We're usually pretty close to the action too.

Are the Pentax lens less expensive then the equilivent Nikon lens?

Biff vonMises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 8:56 PM   #6

Biff vonMises wrote:
Quote:
Are the Pentax lens less expensive then the equilivent Nikon lens?
No. At the lower tier, equivalent lenses cost about the same.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 9:26 PM   #7

Biff vonMises wrote:
Quote:
My son plays volleyball, so most of the movement is limited to a small area, with lots of jumping. We're usually pretty close to the action too.
Is that indoor volleyball? If it is, you'll need to use prime lenses. Lenses the D40 won't autofocus with. If it's outdoors then it isn't an issue.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2007, 3:44 AM   #8

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Biff vonMises wrote:
Quote:
Is that indoor volleyball? If it is, you'll need to use prime lenses. Lenses the D40 won't autofocus with. If it's outdoors then it isn't an issue.
I will, of course, defer to JohnG on this, but I think he may haveoverlooked the Nikkor 105mm f/2.8, theSigma 150mm f/2.8 and the Sigma 180 f/3.5, all of which autofocus on the D40.

And, perhaps, he specified prime lenses for their large apertures, in which case the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 might be a good choice, and it also autofocuses on the D40.

None of these lenses are cheap ($700-$900), but they are fine lenses and I think theycould do the job well.

And bright telephotos and telephoto zooms are the domains of Canon and Nikon, so the pickings are pretty slim for the Pentax in this area. Pentax has nothing, and Sigma only has the 180 f/3.5.

Old Jun 30, 2007, 8:59 AM   #9

TCav wrote:
Quote:
I will, of course, defer to JohnG on this, but I think he may haveoverlooked the Nikkor 105mm f/2.8, theSigma 150mm f/2.8 and the Sigma 180 f/3.5, all of which autofocus on the D40.
2.8 typically isn't fast enough for indoor sports below collegiate level - you need 2.0 and 1.8 apertures.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2007, 12:41 PM   #10

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
2.8 typically isn't fast enough for indoor sports below collegiate level - you need 2.0 and 1.8 apertures.
That still leaves the Nikkor 200mm f/2.0, but putting a $4,000 lens on a D40 strikes me as a bit odd.