Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 1, 2007, 6:13 AM   #1

I apologize for not giving credits to the photographers who took those shots. I really could not remember the photographers who took those shots. I have got most of the examples from other forums quite some time ago. I really cannot remember the original location of the images; I have saved the photographs into my hard drive and uploaded them into a image hosting site for displaying in here. (I am very sorry; it is my bad I know)

Anyway, I just wanted to show you all what I would like to achieve that is all.

Now for the recommendations please.

I plan to get the combo by next week at the latest. My budget is from US$1500 - US$1700. No more or no less please, I really want to get the highest quality combo my money can afford.

Thanks.
Artist_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2007, 9:05 AM   #2

A look at the EXIF data for these images should give an indication of what it took to make these photographs. Here's what I found.

#1 EXIF Data:
Exposure Time = 1/160"
F Number = F9
Focal Length = 18mm
(No ISO value)

#2 EXIF Data:
Exposure Time = 1/80"
F Number = F16
Focal Length = 10mm
(No ISO value)

#3 EXIF Data:
(None)

#4 EXIF Data:
(None)

#5 EXIF Data:
Exposure Time = 1/20"
F Number = F2.8
ISO Speed Ratings = 200
Focal Length = 40mm

It seems #1 &#3 are well within the capabilities of any dSLR and kit lens, while#2 and probably #4 use a very short focal length lens, and #5 used a fairly fast lens (f/2.8 at 40mm).

So I think what you're looking for is a high resolution image sensor to capture as much detail as possible, and a bright super-wide-angle lens.

What follows is a list of the lenses that might suit your needs (that earned an Editor's Choice Award from American Photo), the cameras they can be mounted to, and their approximate street prices.

Tokina 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 AF DX (American PHOTO 2007 Editor's Choice Award) for Canon & Nikon: $600
PENTAX DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 ED AL[IF]SDM (American PHOTO 2007 Editor's Choice Award) for Pentax: $800
PENTAX DA Fish-Eye 10-17mm f3.5-4.5 ED [IF] (American PHOTO 2006 Editor's Choice Award) for Pentax: $400
Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR LD Di-II (American PHOTO 2006 Editor's Choice Award) for Canon, Nikon & Sony: $500

What followsarethese really fine lenses pairedwith really fine dSLRs that arewithin your budget.

Pentax K100D with the Pentax 16-50mm f/2.8 & Pentax 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5
Canon Digital Rebel XTi with the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8& Tokina 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5
Nikon D80 with the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8& Tokina 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5

Have you held any of these cameras?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote