Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 4, 2007, 7:59 PM   #1

Hi

I am looking at purchasing my first digital camera and I am confused by all the choices, and so by telling you what I am looking for I hope to narrow my choices.

First and for most I am open to new or used camera's as I am looking to spend between $200 to $300 canadian. I am hoping to get a mega zoom 10X optical or more. The kind of pictures I wan't to take vary from very low light with subject approx 20 feet away and moving around(I play in a band and would love live band shots) to capturing my kids riding there bikes and playing soccer so again moving subjects. I am not to hung up on mega pixle count as I probley wouldn't print pictures that are greater than 8X10.

I have been looking at the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7 and used they have been going for $180 to $220 cdn on E bay and I recently lost a bid for a new opened box model from Henery's that was approx $260 cdn. My concern here is thatabove ISO 100 it gets really noisy and i fear that the band shots might not turn out as well as I wan't nor the soccer playing.

It seems like I am asking the impossible for my $200 to $300 but if you guys can point me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks

Steve71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2007, 11:02 AM   #2

Geeze I copied and pasted the exact originalquestion this morning and posted it on Digital Camera Reviews and News and already got 4 responses. I could really use some advice. Is my question to vague? Here are some other recommendationd from the other web site. Used Sony R1, Fuji F30, F31,UsedS6500.

My concern with the Fuji S6500 is the lack of an image stabalizer, is this something I should be worried about.

Thanks
Old Jul 5, 2007, 11:51 AM   #3

Steve71 wrote:
Quote:
hoping to get a mega zoom 10X optical or more... very low light with subject approx 20 feet away and moving around .....capturing my kids riding there bikes and playing soccer
Have you considered the Kodak Z712is? It has a 12x zoom, good low light performance, and image stabilisation, and is remarkably cheap (in the UK at least). I'm very pleased with mine. Sample imageshave been posted by other users in the 'Kodak' forum in the last week or so.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 12:01 PM   #4
ms3

I recently got the Canon S3 and as I'm sure you know, the S5 just came out, so prices on the S3 are getting very reasonable.

It's got the zoom you want and does most of what you ask forwell. It's got noise above ISO 100, so that could be a concern for you.Not recommended for use over ISO 200 without some noise reduction PP. As well as I understand it is supposedlynot great in low light, tho I have seen someoutstanding pics from it in low light. I have mostly taken birds, outdoor thingsand macro, etc., so no personal low light experience. I like the quality of the pictures very much.

I like Canon's over the other brands for their overall performance. For one specific dimension, other brands may be a little better, but generally you will find in most reviews, Canon's rank high for thieroverall performance/price ratio.

So, in your price range, I think you would like the Canon S3 if you are willing to go thru a learning curve of about a month as it is fully featured and using it in Auto is not recommended.
ms3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 12:01 PM   #5
ms3

duplicate
Old Jul 5, 2007, 12:02 PM   #6
ms3

duplicate
Old Jul 7, 2007, 6:56 AM   #7

Thanks for the great replies.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 12:09 PM   #8

Maybe what you are asking for is not available at this time. That's why there have been so few responses. The F31fd and F6500/6000 are good in low light, but I don't think you can get them for the price you want. However, I don't know the exchange rate. The Kodak Z712s is not quite as good in lowlight from what I heard, and also maybe out of your price range. I could recommend a Fuji S5200 (used), but don't know if you would be happy with the image quality in really low light. If you can find an F30 or F31fd at prices you can pay, I recommend those.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2007, 8:49 PM   #9

Don't get a used camera off of the internet. Buy used only if you can holdthe camerain your hand before putting money on the line. Manufacturer's refurbished are OK if your getting the from the manufacturer.

The Kodak Z712 should still be selling for less the the Canon S3. The worst price you'd have to pay new $300 U.S. and I suspect it could be found new for under $300 Canadian on the internet.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 5:01 PM   #10

You can try out different digital camera, their price, features and other things, try out some comparising website. Try out this website. It will save your time to search on website.
http://www.weeklybin.net

Techdeals is offline   Reply With Quote