Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 6, 2007, 5:45 PM   #1
KSS

Hello………….I need the help from my friends here at Steve's Digicams once again….

I am trying to decide a purchase between the following Panasonic cameras DMC-FZ7K, DMC- FZ8K, and the DMC-FZ50K. Is the new FZ50 worth the price difference over the FZ28? Is it that much better in picture quality and function? From all that I am reading online one can assume that perhaps the picture quality from either of these cameras is not good, or it is great depending on the reviewer. It gets very confusing. Steve's review on the FZ50 is not posted yet and his findings have not let me down yet. So in the meantime I need to ask for opinions.

My main camera is a Canon EOS 20D. I am in of a need a high quality single lens camera for those occasions that I do not want to carry the 20D and lenses.

So many cameras, so many reviews, so much confusion. I would appreciate the feedback and an opinion from anyone who has these cameras's or has an opinion on this subject in general. Thanks.
KSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2007, 9:38 AM   #2

my husband's main camera is a 20D and his backup camera is the FZ30, which is the precessor to the FZ50. it's true that there is a little more noise than some other cameras, but in all other respects it is a perfect digicam for a DSLR user. lots of manual controls, manual zoom and focus. and of course, the size of it is much more satisfying to those of us who prefer bigger cameras. the pics are okay in daylight or anything you can shoot with a fast ISO speed, but expect pics in dark settings to have noticeable graininess.

to some extent, the same is true of my fuji S9100, which is a full sized fixed lens camera with lots of manual controls and manual zoom.

i haven't found a full sized camera with a manual zoom and focus ring that really delivers at, say, ISO 800, or even 400. i hear the fuji S6000fd does a little better in low light and still has some heft and a bunch of features.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2007, 5:32 PM   #3

Good post Basschick.
She is pretty much right on with what I've found here.

I still favor my "old" Canon G3 for higher ISO pics. I think the f-2.0 lens makes a difference here. Even on the G3 the 400 speed pics are grainy.

The new "super-zooms" do an excellent job on quality on the long-zoom "stabilized" mode. Better than any film camera I've had. But you will still get grain evidence if you push the ISO.

Now on to the original Q, the FZ 7 & 8 are quite a bit smaller than the FZ50. I kinda like the 50 but..... the FZ8 has the higher res LCD, is smaller (winter-coat pocket size for my snowmobile), and can take the new SDHD cards, which can be had at 8GB now and are supposed go up to 32GB (wow!!) someday. Between the FZ 8 & the 50, I guess it comes down to size.

I am currently torn between the FZ8 and the S3IS as I would like to keep camera size down while getting optical stabilization and the option of mega-sized cards.

Good Luck,

Dean.

dno36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2007, 3:03 AM   #4
KSS

Thanks for the info............. I am just undecided and may nowbe leaning toward the Canon S3 IS over the FZ50. $500- $600 seems like a lot of money for a camera that you can only use at low ISO's. I would like a camera that if needed could get a decent low light shot from time to time. Isn't any of these manufacturers focusing on picture quality anymore? Seems like it is just a mega pixel race. Is the Fuji s6000fd a better camera than the Canon S3 IS? Any ideas anyone? Thanks.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 3:03 AM   #5
KSS

Duplicate Message
Old Jul 14, 2007, 3:04 AM   #6
KSS

Duplicate Message
Old Jul 14, 2007, 3:04 AM   #7
KSS

Duplicate Message
Old Jul 14, 2007, 3:04 AM   #8
KSS

Duplicate Message
Old Jul 14, 2007, 3:05 AM   #9
KSS

Why did it post my message so many times? How do I delete them?
Old Jul 14, 2007, 3:09 AM   #10

You can't, but you can edit them and delete all the text from all but one of the posts.

Since they changed the site a month or so ago, they have had this problem. When you submit a post, wait 10 seconds or so. If you see no changes, refresh the page. You should see your post then. Don't repeatedly hit the send button.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote