Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 14, 2007, 1:32 AM   #11

I have the XTi, and it is a fine camera but as of the other day, i saw i have problems with dust on my sensor and i only changed the lense from the 17-70 to the 50 1.8 maybe 3 times,, the sensor cleaner on the XTi doesn't seem to work to good, so i am doing it manually, but all in all opinions very check them both out
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2007, 1:53 AM   #12

I made a separate post asking this: I am considering the Canon, Nikon and Olympus too, but when doing hands-on testing the Olympus lens, in manual focus mode, just doesn't seem to work like the other two. It takes one complete turn of the focus ring on the Olympus to get a tiny focus adjustment, whereas on the other two, you barely need to turn the ring. Am I nuts to worry about this? I don't have any experience with DSLR cameras, only traditional Nikons, so my expectations may be all off. I like to do macro photography and photography using narrow depth of fields. I worry about the Olympus lens' or is it that I just don't have enough experience with auto-focus?
EvanF19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 4:33 AM   #13

goblow1203 wrote:
Quote:
I am waffling back and forth between these two cameras,the Nikon D40x and the Canon XTias I enter the DSLR stage. I have no lenses and will buy body only. Both get great reviews. Can anyone here give me some solid reasons to go one way or another? Thanks.
Am I missing something? How are you planning to take pictures when you have no lenses and are planning to get body only?

Also I am curious why did you rule out Pentax K100D out of your potential choices?

EvanF19 wrote:
Quote:
I made a separate post asking this: I am considering the Canon, Nikon and Olympus too, but when doing hands-on testing the Olympus lens, in manual focus mode, just doesn't seem to work like the other two. It takes one complete turn of the focus ring on the Olympus to get a tiny focus adjustment, whereas on the other two, you barely need to turn the ring. Am I nuts to worry about this?
Well, with manual focus it is a very very big plus when you need to turn focus ring a lot to make small adjustment. It is almost impossible to achieve exact focus manually with lenses were you barely need to turn focus ring to achieve focus.

Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 5:00 PM   #14

I cannot offer a comparison of the two cameras but but was in a similar position this year. I chose the D40 as best value with its kit lens. You can buy the D40X separately and there are two good zooms - the 18-135mm and more expensive 18-200mm with Vibration Reduction. Although there are differences between the cameras, they have both been extremely popular with new users. If the D40 hadn't been around, I would have bought the Xt, but did prefer the feel of the Nikon in my hands. From my experience and other opinions, you should be delighted with either camera, and the main criteria is your type of photography, thelenses and external flashes you therefore need, their availabiity, and how much they are going to cost. The camera body will quickly date, and there will be newer, better, and lower cost bodies, but your lenses will be a longer term investment.

IMHO, the main differentiation between the two cameras is that you will have more choice of lenses from Canon and third party suppliers with the Xti. The D40x can only use Nikon AF-S lenses and Sigma lenses with HSM. This was not a problem for me since I had established which lenses I wanted, but you need to do the research. This may be the differentiation you need to choose the Canon.
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 10:06 PM   #15

EvanF19 wrote:
Quote:
I made a separate post asking this: I am considering the Canon, Nikon and Olympus too, but when doing hands-on testing the Olympus lens, in manual focus mode, just doesn't seem to work like the other two. It takes one complete turn of the focus ring on the Olympus to get a tiny focus adjustment, whereas on the other two, you barely need to turn the ring. Am I nuts to worry about this? I don't have any experience with DSLR cameras, only traditional Nikons, so my expectations may be all off. I like to do macro photography and photography using narrow depth of fields. I worry about the Olympus lens' or is it that I just don't have enough experience with auto-focus?
The Olympus does focus differently. It isn't mechanical. Its elecrical.

I find the autofocus to be accurate. The manual focus ring is functional, but you must choose one of the choices which enable it from the menu.

I find the small viewfinder to be a much larger handicap than the electrical focus setup when push comes to shove.

fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote