Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 11, 2007, 4:25 PM   #1

I am waffling back and forth between these two cameras,the Nikon D40x and the Canon XTias I enter the DSLR stage. I have no lenses and will buy body only. Both get great reviews. Can anyone here give me some solid reasons to go one way or another? Thanks.
--
Gary S. Berman
goblow1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2007, 8:54 PM   #2

Gary,

What styles of photography interest you? How you plan on using your camera goes a long way toward selecting the right one.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2007, 8:54 PM   #3

The Canon has far more controls & far less restrictions.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 10:07 PM   #4

I work at a preschool so I like to take a lot of candid shots,some portrait style shots. Probably won't need zoom to often. More outdoors than indoors about 60-40.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 3:57 AM   #5

Why not throw the Olympus E-510 into the mix? This is looking to be the hottest selling new dSLR this summer, with built-in (in-body) image stabilization, liveview, and the only effective dust-reduction system of any dSLR yet. It just came out this past month so not too many top-line reviews are available yet, but some are available. The August edition of Popular Photography gave a glowing review, as did NW Photoforum, Digitlife (in French), Cameralabs.com, and digicamreview.com.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 6:27 AM   #6

Norm in Fujino wrote:
Quote:
The August edition of Popular Photography gave a glowing review
Is there a piece of equipment made that Pop Photography DOESN't give a glowing review of? :G

Seriously - this is not meant as a knock on the Oly at all. Just that Pop photog isn't a critical reviewer of ANYTHING. Every camera and lens released is made to sound as if it's the best product on the market. This is what you get when the majority of your revenue is generated from advertisement dollars - much of which comes from the very companies being reviewed. Not surprising the reviews aren't worth much.

I do agree, the Oly sounds promising.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 7:22 AM   #7

I haven't read Pop Photography in quite a few years, but the opinions I hear from others echo yours--which is one reason I said few top line reviews had appeared yet (the meaning of "top line" is obviously one of those caveat emptor expressions, namely, YMMV). I can't vouch for the quality of the French review I mentioned, either, but it's another data point, I suppose.

It might be mentioned while we're waiting for a review of the E-510 from DPReview, Phil has already reviewed the E-410, which shares the same sensor as the E-510, although a somewhat slimmer feature set (fewer control buttons on the back and no IS)--and he gave it a "Highly Recommended" rating.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 10:31 AM   #8

To get back on topic, both are fine creative tools capable of excellent results when properly handled. Emphasis on the properly handled! Plan to carefully study the camera by giving more than a glance at the owner's manual. Read books, attend courses, join photo clubs but most of all shoot lots of photos and examine them critically to expand your knowledge and skills.

I would suggest visiting a camera store and handling both cameras with the lenses that interest you. Bring some memory cards and shoot a bit to see how they handle then review what you shot at home on your computer. Pick the one that feels and looks best.

You are buying into a system as you will want more lenses and other accessories so make sure the system you choose supports what you want.

Remember that DSLRs don't process the images as much as other digicams and will require some post processing to get the best out of them. You will eventually need decent photo editing software and acquire skills in using it.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 12:10 PM   #9

Thanks for all the great advice.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 11:53 PM   #10

Let me add my two cents. They are both good cameras and I have load a of Canon and Nikon equipment and I still do some professional stuff too. However, Canon has really taken over the market and they don't seem to want to stop. A number of full time professionals that I know (many who use to use Nikon film cameras) have gone to Canon.

Two reasons: The Canon cameras are tough (even the xti is pretty tough for entry level digital slr) and second: The Canon lenses are believed to be superior. There's a reason that most of the cameras you see in sports have the big white lenses and that Canon symbol...they are just a little bit better. Many of these guys use the xti to compliment their other Canon DSlrs.

In terms of features you tend to get more bang for the buck with Canon. One point however, if you get the xti don't buy the kit lens that they want to sell you with it. This is one of their few bad lenses in my estimation. Get yourself 50 mm 1.8 or if you can afford it the 50 mm 1.4 is even more rugged and sharper yet. Yes, I know people who say why would you want a 50 mm lens? Probably 75% of the world's greatest photographs have been taken with you guessed it.... a 50 mm lens!~
troutfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote