Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 11, 2007, 7:18 PM   #1

I was looking into getting the S9100 but am concerned now after reading CNET's review (which wasn't very good). I would like a camera that is multi-functional, megazoom, manual controls, etc. I shoot everything; outdoor camping, nature, sunsets, flower close-ups, my teenagers' sports, all family-type photos (indoor and outdoor), birds, moon, etc. I crop most of my photos, although I don't do prints larger than 8x10; mostly 5x7s.

I really like the size and feel of the S9100 and how it "acts" and looks like a DSLR - love the manual zoom on it. Wish it had IS but can live without it if it still takes great pictures - never had IS before so I don't know what I'm missing. I've narrowed down to either this camera or the Canon S5; both are at the top of my price range. Should I just stick with the Canon S5 (or Sony DSC-H9)? Thought about getting the S3 but I want the latest.

Thanks!
hominid4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2007, 7:33 PM   #2

I have the S9100 and like it. The CNET rating for the S9100 is 7.4 out of 10, which is pretty good, by the way.

The S9100 and S6000fd both have wide angle capabilities at 28 mm, which is good for big family portraits and landscapes. The S6000fd is better for low light shots.

My brother has a Canon S3 IS, which he likes.

Any of these cameras will meet your requirements.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2007, 12:42 PM   #3

Are cameras such as these rated along side DSLRs or are they in their own category even though their digital as well? If grouped with DSLRs then a 74% is pretty good and understandable.

I'm replacing my Olympus C-3000 ZOOM (that I bought 6 years ago) which I've been really happy with with picture quality. In regards to just image quality, is the quality of the S9100 and S5 IS 6 years advanced over my old Olympus? Below is a cropped/scaled-down example taken with the C-3000.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old Jul 13, 2007, 12:43 PM   #4

1 more scaled-down example.
Attached Images

Old Jul 13, 2007, 12:48 PM   #5

Last one! This one is really cropped in.
Attached Images

Old Jul 13, 2007, 3:49 PM   #6

I don't think they pi t the digicams against the DSLR's. However, 7.4 out of 10 is not like 74% on a math test in high school. There are a number of DSLR's with similar scores, maybe a couple with lower scores. Almost no cameras get scores about 8. I would say that 7.4 for CNET is like a B+.

It's hard to tell how good the image quality is on the pictures you have displayed; they are too small to detect noise.

I have the S9100. It's a good camera, but there is noticeable noise above ISO 400. However, I think I can get decent 8 X 10 prints at even ISO 800.

DSLR picture quality is generally superior, however.

I would urge you to consider the S6000fd. It's somewhat cheaper than the S9100, but it is superior in low light. One gripe, however, is that it uses just xD cards. It also doesn't have the articulating LCD. However, otherwise, it looks and works a lot like the S9100.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2007, 4:25 PM   #7

I have S-9100 (after using an S-5100 for 18 months)and it by far better than a 74% or 7.4 of out 10 camera in my opinion. I'd rate it an 8.5 to 9 out of 10. It could be easier to change some of the menu setting like flash from external to built in and to change memory card types etc. I use it to shoot fires and rescues among other things and found it does a very very very very very good job. I also got a sunpack flash for it which really helps at night. ISO is good up to and inculding 400. I have gotten some awesome 16 x 20 prints from it when set to 9mp mode.

I would get the camera if its within your budget range. Also get a 2GB high pssed compact flash card as well. I got a Sandisc Ultra II and loving ever bit of it and the camera.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2007, 5:32 PM   #8

Good deal, I'm still jumping back and forth between the 9100 and the S5 but will pick one of them.

I've attached a full-size photo from a folder off my desktop that was taken with my C-3000 in HQ mode. I had to crop it and re-save as a jpeg so to meet the 250k size limit.
Attached Images