Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 19, 2007, 8:57 PM   #11

Bob:

Very nice picture. Thanks for posting.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 9:22 PM   #12

jessicawc wrote:
Quote:
Do you own any super zooms or DSLRs?

I am a pleased owner ofa Kodak Z612 and it has met my expectations but it doesn't have the type of Vivid Color feature you're looking for.

I had not heard that the S5 had a hot shoe. The S3 will take an external flash even though it doesn't have a hot shoe. The main element in reducing red eye is the seperation between the flash and the optical axis of the lens. If you can get six inches of seperation you shouldn't have much in the way of red eye. The benefit of bounce flash is the reduction of harsh shadows but using bounce flash on a moving target is problematical. Get the seperation first then worry about bounce.

I doubt the S5 is enough faster shooting, if at all to make much of a difference. The concensus I'm see is that Canon hasn't messed up with the S5 what the S3 does well but any improvements are incremental.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 11:57 PM   #13

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
I had not heard that the S5 had a hot shoe. The S3 will take an external flash even though it doesn't have a hot shoe.
The S3 can take and external flash? I've been struggling with which new camera to buy (have an S1, and really wanted to upgrade), and was just trying to decide if the hot shoe was worth the extra $200.

Where can I find more about using an external on an S3?

(btw, you guy/girls have been very helpful answering my questions)
tybonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 7:10 AM   #14

Actually, I did not know that the S3 could take an external flash either. If it does not have a hot shoe, then how does that work? The flash hot shoe was one of the main reasons that I was going to get an S5 instead. Because both of these cameras have the color accent that I wanted. The bigger screen was a plus but not as big of a deal as the hot shoe for a flash.

Please tell me more.
jessicawc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 9:04 AM   #15

The S3 can work withCanon's externalflash unitthat is designed to work with Canon's point n shoot models that don't have external flash mounts.

The S5 has the same flash mount asCanon's SLR models allowing you to use most Canon or third party flashes. This probably means that itshould use the current Canon eTTL flashfeatures.

I don't know if you cango into video modewith the S3by pushing a record button (regardless of mode) or shoot still shots while doing video without changing anything.The S5 allows you todo this.I shoot events professionally, I brought the S5 last week and after one day's shooting,I think I'll be using it a lot more than I do my 5D or 20D for walk around/personal shooting.
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 9:20 AM   #16

So, do you think that you could recommend a flash for me if I buy the S5 today? I will be taking pictures of my little boy and nieces at the Zoo tomorrow as well as animals. I will probably not need a flash for that but I plan on getting a flash later for indoor shots of my son (who is blue eyed and bad for red eye). I will be taking lots of indoor shots. My husband, too, is bad for red eye. That will be what I need the flash for, so which one would you recommend for these types of pics? I have heard of the 220 EX speedlite and the 480 and 580 or something like that. Do you think that the 220 would be sufficent enough for me (it is cheaper) or do I need to go with something more expensive like the 580 or something (I know there are some in between but I can't remember the numbers), when I go to buy an external flash?

Also, if I decide to get the S3, could you recommend a flash for it? What kind of flash can it use, since it does not have a hot shoe for one? I may go with an S3 because I have heard the pic quality is about the same and it is cheaper. I had initially wanted the S5 mostly for the external flash component, but if the S3 will take a flash too, then I may go with it. Because I have heard that other than the screen and hot shoe, there is not much difference in the 2 cameras.

Thanks so much for your help.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 10:25 AM   #17

High-Power Flash HF-DC1 - listed for $129.00 on the Canon site. The S5 has a 1/250 flash sync speed. I would recommend getting the 430ex flash or a third party Canon flash if you go with the S5. The HF-DC1 probably is the best choice for the S3.
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 1:53 PM   #18

Thanks so much for the help. I just bought the S5 IS and have it right now. Even it is a little intimidating to me, but I hope that I will get used to it and maybe try to fiddle around a little with the different settings and maybe eventually get out of auto mode. ALready been in the color accent scene mode and it is pretty cool. I would like to try Photoshop Elements some time too, but I have heard that it is hard to work in. I could do even more work to my pictures in that if I could figure out how to use it.

I will buy an external flash at some point for it. Is the 220 EX not a good enough flash to go on the S5? It appears to be quite a bit cheaper. Is the difference that the 430 swivels and the 220 does not? I guess the swivel head would help even more with red eye.

Thanks,

Jessica
Old Jul 20, 2007, 1:56 PM   #19

The only reason I even ended up with the S5 is because I had already ordered it on Wednesday express shipping before this weekend. Was told that it was not supposed to ship til next week and they tried to do a refusal on the order so that it would leave the warehouse. I thought I had more time, especially after reading that the S3 would take an external flash, to choose between the S3 and S5, but as it turns out, the refusal got mixed up or something and they expidited the shipping on the camera and it arrived today. So I guess I ended up with the S5 IS whether I decided on the S3 or not. I hope that I am happy with the S5.

Jessica
Old Jul 20, 2007, 2:18 PM   #20

jessicawc wrote:
Quote:
I hope that I am happy with the S5.

Jessica
I suspect you will be.