Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 19, 2007, 9:57 AM   #1

I am just finding out that the S3 IS and S5 IS have got a feature called color accent on them that can make one color in the picture that you choose to stand out and make everything else black and white. I am curious if the DSLRs have that feature also instead of having to figure out how to do this on software. That is a really interesting feature to me, because I love these kind of pics. Could someone please let me know if this feature extends to the DSLRs? Because I know that the DSLRs are supposed to be loaded even more with features?

Is the S5 so much better than the S3 to pay the extra for it? Any opinions out there. I am buying a camera tomorrow because I am going to the Knoxville Zoo and want some good quality pics of my son and the animals. Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jessica
jessicawc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2007, 12:07 PM   #2

Jessica,

I'm not aware of a DSLR that has that feature.

As for this statement:

Quote:
Because I know that the DSLRs are supposed to be loaded even more with features?
it isn't completely accurate. There are lots of features digicams have that dslrs do not - video being a big one. This seems like another example.

Traditionally the two camera types were marketed towards two different types of photographers. So the given feature sets were different. So, to the traditional SLR shooter a feature like this wouldn't have been very important - it's an affect that could be obtained in post-processing. And this traditional SLR photographer almost always post-processed.

Now that the price of DSLRs is really driving down, there's a greater influx of point-and-shoot photographers buying DSLRS. And I don't mean that term to be durogatory - just that this market segment has less interest in doing all the work themselves. They still want the camera to do as much as possible just like a digicam does but they want some of the better quality results a DSLR can deliver. Why am I blathering on? My point is that up until a year ago I would never consider this type of feature to be something a DSLR would include. With a growing demographic of cross-over users though, features like this could be more in demand. The face of today's DSLR user is very different than the DSLR user of 3 years ago. So, just like superzoom lenses are becoming a hot commodity right now (mainly due to the cross over user) other digicam-type features might also carry over in upcomming entry level DSLRs.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 12:09 PM   #3

If those are your only choices I'd get the S3. I hope you're not buying the camera tomorrow and going to the zoo tomorrow as well. You should take at least a couple of hundred photos with the camera under different conditions and evaluate the results before you use it on an event that is obviously important to you.

I have not researched your DSLR question but I doubt that DSLRs have the one color feature built in as the general concept of DSLRs almost assumes post processing. Manipulation is most logical at that point.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 12:28 PM   #4

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
The face of today's DSLR user is very different than the DSLR user of 3 years ago. So, just like superzoom lenses are becoming a hot commodity right now (mainly due to the cross over user) other digicam-type features might also carry over in upcomming entry level DSLRs.
Very thoughtful answer. You may well have predicted the entry level DSLR future.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 1:43 PM   #5

Thanks so much for your help, guys. I really do not know what type of camera I want. I like this feature being on the camera, because I love these kinds of photos and I do not know how to use Photoshop and all of the post processing software, so that is the reason that it is kind of important to me. If I knew how to the do post processing to make my picture look that way, then I would. But I have heard that the software is hard to use and understand how to work in it. I am very much a beginner and have been back and forth and back and forth on cameras for over 6 months now. Still going back and forth on which camera would be best for me. Yea, I want very good quality pictures, but I am no pro, so I guess a good quality looking picture to me would not be the same for a pro.

I just want to be able to take pictures of my little boy and maybe some picture of the outdoors some and be able to change the colors of the backgrounds sometimes on a picture that I particularly like and develop good quality pictures my little boy.

I am slightly afraid of the DSLR because I have no photographing experience and I am afraid that I would not be able to learn fast enough to get everything out of a DSLR as someone else could. But I would also like to be able to take a zoom picture because I like taking pictures of pretty birds around the house and I go to Tennessee often and like the landscape there too. I also know that lens can get mighty expensive and I don't know how often I could afford to buy a new lens. The pictures that I am used to are from a Kodak 4 MP C330 camera and when I print them out at Wal-Mart on the self printer, many times they are grainy when I zoom in and that is the reason that I know I need a higher MP camera, so that I can zoom in without changing the quality of a picture too much. I like close ups of my little boy, because he changes so much every day.

What kind of camera user do I sound like to you all? Thanks so much for your help.

Jessica
Old Jul 19, 2007, 2:59 PM   #6

Actually the S3, if its My Colors feature works as you expect, is actually a very good choice as a high performance point and shoot camera. The long telephoto capability of the lens should significantly reduce the amount of digital zoom/cropping you need to do to photograph birds and the like thereby reducing the grainy effect you're seeing now.

There are other excellent superzoom cameras on the market including the Kodak Z612 and Z712 but none that I'm aware of have the Vivid Blue, etc. function of the S3 although they have the B&W and sepia functions.

The S5 has as good an image quality as the S3 but at least one reviewer suggests that the ergonomic changes were a step backwards.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 3:17 PM   #7

One of the main reasons that I was considering the S5 over the S3 is because I heard that the bigger screen is easier to see in the bright sunlight in the daytime and also because of the hot shoe for a flash, as my little boy has red eye really bad in most pictures (he is blue eyed). I figured that the extra flash power will really help with that and if I added on a flash, then it would be even further away from the lens (which is what I heard causes the red eye), plus the S5 has in camera red eye reduction. It detects and takes out the red eye itself, so that is definitely a plus. Don't know if the S3 does that or not. I really do hope that the S5 takes as good a pics as the S3, because I have heard that too.

Thanks so much for your advise, A.C. I considered those 2 Kodaks but I really like the color accent feature on the S3 and S5 along with the IS.

So do you think that the S3 actually takes better quality pics than the S5. I really don't want to make a bad choice. I really wish that I could take the time to learn DSLRs but I am afraid that that is not possible with a small child at home, who demands attention all the time. :-)

Do you own any super zooms or DSLRs?

Old Jul 19, 2007, 4:25 PM   #8

Jessica,

Looking at your criteria, the only areas where a DSLR are going to give you a noticable improvement is on birding - but that gets really, really expensive to get that quality differenc on a DSLR (start thinking an extra $560 at a minimum for a birding lens) and action shots of your boy if you take any (and I don't mean sports per se - just moving around)- The DSLRs will have quicker focusing than the digicams. Also, I will point out that being able to use an external mounted flash (preferably one whose head tilts so light can be bounced off a wall or ceiling) is a huge improvement in flash pictures - no more red-eye, no more stark white subject etc. Some digicams have hot-shoes for mounting an external flash. You have not indicated flash pictures as a point of concern but if you love taking photos of your son I'm guessing some of those are indoors - which typically means using flash - especially if your son isn't just standing still.

Because of the way you like to use your camera though I still don't think a DSLR is right for you. I think a superzoom is a much better fit. BUT, you have to realize there are still going to be limitations. When you start wanting to take more and more photos in those situations there is eventually no other choice. You eventually need the extra capabilities a DSLR provides (or by then digicams may be just as good). But I don't think you're there yet.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 4:41 PM   #9

Thanks, John. I really did not think I was there yet, because my boy is still a baby and not into sports and things like that yet. He moves around and everything, but I have heard that the S5 is pretty fast (not DSLR but fast). I know that maybe eventually I will need one when he starts into sports, maybe, and other things, but right now, I figured that maybe a superzoom would be okay for me now, especially where I do not know a whole lot about photography.

Will this superzoom also allow me to learn more about photography, so that maybe I will be able to get ready for a DSLR in the future. I really need to learn more before I plunge into the DSLR world. So I would like to be able to learn on a more advanced point and shoot camera or upper end or whatever it is called.

Yes, I did know that I would need a good flash, because yeah, I will be taking a lot of indoor shots. My baby is not quite walking yet. So, will be doing a lot of indoor shots. That is why that I think I need the S5 over the S3 because of the flash hot shoe. Everything about the S3 would probably have been fine enough, but I really thought I needed the capability of buying an extra flash and being able to attach it to my camera. Do you have any recommendations for which flash to get? Would the Canon 220 Speedlite be sufficient enough or what do you recommend. I would like to have a swivel one, because of being able to bounce the light off something else besides my baby's eyes, causing his red eye.

Thanks

Jessica
Old Jul 19, 2007, 6:44 PM   #10

I just bought the S3 last weekend as a walk around camera instead of lugging around my Nikon D50 and I just love the camera! I have taken over 300 photos with it and feel like I made the right decision saving a couple hundred dollars over the S5. Here is a sample taken last night of a hawk down the road from my house, this is a crop from the large photo taken at full zoom.

Bob

Last edited by bhammitt; May 9, 2009 at 7:51 AM.
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote