Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 20, 2007, 12:31 AM   #1

Hi there,

can any one help me out in deciding which of these cameras is the best for lowlight photograophy... especially when higher ISO settings are used (ISO 400 - ISO 800).

My purchase will be particular to astrophotography.

Canon S3 IS
Sony H2 or H5

Olympus SP-550 UZ

thank you very much.

phani_astronomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2007, 2:34 AM   #2

I have heard that the Sony's are slightly better in low light. The Canon and Olympus are similar though the Olympus has higher ISO settings. The champion for lowlight superzooms is probably the Fuji FinePix S6000fd.

Here is a quote from www.dcresource.com in a review of the SP-550:

Both ISO 50 and 100 are very clean, with no noise to speak of. We see a bit of grain appearing at ISO 200, but there's no reason why you can't make a large print of that photo. There's more noise at ISO 400, comparable to say the Canon PowerShot S3, but not as clean as the Fuji FinePix S6000fd or the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5. A midsize print will still look nice at that setting. At ISO 800 the noise reduction gets turned on high, resulting in a real smudging of details -- though a small print isn't out of the question here. ISO 1600 is quite a bit worse, and I don't think this setting (or anything above it for that matter) is usable. Yes, that means that the low resolution ISO 3200 and 5000 settings should be avoiding - these are really only there to be shown on the camera box.

Here is the whole review for the SP-550, if you are interested:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ol...ew/index.shtml
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 4:36 AM   #3

phani_astronomy wrote:
Quote:
Hi there,

can any one help me out in deciding which of these cameras is the best for lowlight photograophy... especially when higher ISO settings are used (ISO 400 - ISO 800).

My purchase will be particular to astrophotography.

Canon S3 IS
Sony H2 or H5

Olympus SP-550 UZ
None of the cameras above has usable ISO400-800. The only choice for you (out of DSLR-like cameras) is Fuji ultrazooms. They and Sony R1 are the only non-DSLR cameras with usable high ISOs.

Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 5:17 PM   #4

Maybe your best bet would be to use low ISO and a long shutter... you would be using a tripod anyway, no?

flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2007, 1:52 PM   #5

I'd avoid the 550UZ. The 18x zoom lens is too long stretch for good result. 510UZ would OK and on a par with the others.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 11:54 PM   #6

All 3 camera are good choices with similar specs. However, the Olympus uses XD cards which are hard to get and expensive. That used to be the case for Sony's memory stick Duo, now it is priced resonably. 3 weeks ago, I bought a Lexar Memory Stick Pro Duo, 4Gb at $30 from Frys.com. You can't go wrong with anyone of the three. Right now the Sony DSC-H2 is onsale at Best Buy for $229. I saw a posting in the forum that Target is selling it for $180(??). I think the Sony is a good buy with rechargeable batteries, charger, lens hood and adapter tube ( you can attach a filter in the front).
mingsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2007, 12:53 PM   #7

For some reference, here is a Sony H-5 photo taken at ISO 400.
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 12:26 AM   #8

It really is unfortunate when nobody reolies, Did you not really like this thread or not? We will never know. Just wondering?????

Saraha Joyce
Old Sep 9, 2007, 1:01 AM   #9

robbo, Edvinas, flippedgazelle, ac.smith, mingsdad, mtclimber, mtclimber ( Saraha Joyce) :

Thank you very much guys for your suggestion.

I am very very very sorry that I could not reply you back. As Sarah Joyce was saying that its unfortunate when ppl does not reply when a suggestion is given.

I had some issues with my system and recently got it repaired and checked all my emails....

By the way some, I thought I would go for complete control and got a Canon 400D (Rebel XTi).

If there is a way to post the pics here I will soon do so... thank you all of you again.

phani_astronomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 2:28 PM   #10

phani-

It took a while, but I am happy for you that you have found an excellent solution.

Sarah Joyce