Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:19 PM   #1

Which one should I buy?

Canon SD1000 (IXUS 70), Canon Powershot a570is, Sony W55 or the newest Cybershot Phone from Sony Ericsson, the K850?

Will cam-phones replace compact digicams?

Which has the better image/movie quality, the SD1000, a570is or Sony W55?
animasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2007, 7:30 AM   #2

animasola wrote:
Quote:
Will cam-phones replace compact digicams?
Audiophiles would prefer to have seperate Amplifier-Preamplifier-Tuner components, but those that are constrained by space or by money select Receivers instead, dispite the fact that they are giving up fidelity and flexibility.

Desktop computers have faster processors, more memory and storage capacity, and greater potential for connectivity and expansionthan laptops, and that doesn't include the obvious fact that desktops have larger screens and full size keyboards with numeric keypads. People that choose laptops over desktops are willing to give up these benefits in order to be able to pack up their computer and take it with them.

Cam-Phones are less capable and flexible that compact digicams, use more expensive flash memory cards, and transferring photos from cam-phones to computers (for post-processing or just for archiving) or directly to printers, is more complicated (if not impossible) and expensive (especially if Verizon is your carrier) than for compact digicams.

Some might choose a cam-phone over a seperate digicam and wireless phone, but I think most people that buy cam-phones are buying them because of the phone, not because of the camera. And even though some of them might actually use the camera ocassionally, mostly the camera will go unused. And that isn't likely to change in the near future.

So for even the casual photographer, until cam-phones at least have flashes, compact digicams will be around for a while.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2007, 10:14 AM   #3

My son has just acquired a Sony Ericsson K810i, which looks very promising as a camera (and everything else as well). From what I've seen it's very good, and my expert local camera tester, who runs the camera shop and tries all the latest models, uses an earlierphone with the same camera in it, and thinks it's exceptionally good for a cameraphone.

You can read about it at http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsso...review-133.php, and there are links to very impressive full-size sample images.

It has a flash, and image stabilisation. It's software IS (because the image size with it on is a little smaller), and digitalzoom.The screen is better than my early digicams. I'm tempted to get one myself, if it'll take my already-paid-up-front-for-life SIM card.

I have an excellent Casio EX-750, my last camera before the Kodak Z712is.That goes in my breast pocket comfortably, but I have to remember to carry it. If I had a phone with adequate performance as a camera, I'd have a camera with me all the time. I'd still take either my better pocket one or the superzoom when I knew I'd need a camera.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2007, 2:42 PM   #4

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
My son has just acquired a Sony Ericsson K810i,
..and I've just managed to extract from him & the phone his first images, on a character-building backpacking trip in the nearby hills (with 13 other 15-year-olds, all female!)

Here are two from his best 2048x1536 frame (a) the whole frame resized to 800x600 and sharpened in PaintSplotPro , and (b) (in reply below) an 800x600 clip at 1:1, full size, pixel for pixel.On the skyline at the left can be seen the mountains of Snowdonia, about 40 miles away.

Most of the other shots were what you'd expect from 13 giggly teenage girls and one chap, but this is pretty outstanding in something selling for about 130 ukpounds, and a very good phone, FM radio, & mp3 player as well.

EXIF data from the image...

Model: K810i
Orientation: Top / left side
Date taken: 14 July 2007 13:08:22
Exposure time [s]: 1/1250
Exposure mode: Auto
Exposure bias [EV]: 0.0
F-Number: F2.8
ISO value: 80
Subj. distance range: Distant view (chosen bythe camera, not my son, so far as he is aware)
Flash: Not fired, auto mode
Metering mode: Center weighted average
White balance: Auto
Image width: 2048
Image height: 1536

Attached Images

Old Jul 21, 2007, 2:46 PM   #5

800x600 piece at full size, cropped out of the original frame, and otherwise unchanged....
Attached Images

Old Jul 21, 2007, 3:09 PM   #6

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
My son has just acquired a Sony Ericsson K810i, which looks very promising as a camera (and everything else as well).
I'm waiting for the lastest which is the SE K850i.

TCav wrote:
Quote:
So for even the casual photographer, until cam-phones at least have flashes, compact digicams will be around for a while.
The K850i has Xenon flash and 3 LEDs.

The only drawback I have in buying the K850 is the poort QVGA (320x240) video. I'm also considering the photo to photo shooting time.

I guess I'll buy a digicam instead.

So here is my new question:

Which should I choose? SD1000 (IXUS 70), Powershot A570is or the Sony W55?
animasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2007, 9:07 AM   #7

animasola wrote:
Quote:
TCav wrote:
Quote:
The K850i has Xenon flash and 3 LEDs.
Well, there you have it. I correctly predicted the past.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote