Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 24, 2007, 11:43 AM   #1

I don't know how many of you have heard but panisonic has a new super zoom coming out in september, the FZ-18. From what I have managed to read it will blow the oly SP 550 out of the market unless they take care of some of the focus and other issues everyone talks about in the forums. And at 400 dollars it will be less money for more product.
I saw some preview pics from Irelands show and it is impressive. I have always been an olympus fan but it looks like I will be changing brands. At first glance it looks like they have managed to put all that stuff for lack of a better word, into the camera and maintained the quality of the pictures. This for me is what I've been waiting for, the big zoom without the quality loss. I take some long shots at 150 yards or more and my 10x just doesn't get the job done.
Kudo's to panisonic for stepping up to the plate, I hope the near future reviews are half as good as the first ones.

Eharrim
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2007, 12:27 PM   #2

Hi,

Just a couple of hours back, I also read an article about Panasonic's new "FZ18".

Seems to be an interesting photographic tool. But do you really think it'll be so much
better than the Oly SP550 UZ?

By the way, where did you see the preview pics of the said camera? I just want to see them, too.

Regards.

xer2004 :-):-):-)

xer2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2007, 2:31 PM   #3

I guess we won't really know until it hits the market in september but the early reviews seem positive. I'm sure there will be pros and cons to it just like the other super zooms but in reading, it mentioned very good quality at higher zoom ranges and although I'm a die hard olympus fan I read a lot of forums talking about focus and softness issues at full optical zoom on the 550. I wanted to run out and buy it but decided to wait and see if they upgraded the firmware before investing in it. In the meantime I've seen some really great photos taken with the 550 so I'm sure in capable hands it has the ability to do it. To me the good thing is now that there is another camera with the same features and at a lower price olympus will more than likely work on upgrading the 550. It's good to have competition, it works in our favor.
Here's the link I got on the pictures from the panisonic. If it doesn't work type in google panisonic fz18 and it will bring up the original link part way down the page on the pictures.
www.pma-show.com/0280/panasonic/digitalcamerareview/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz18/
Old Jul 24, 2007, 7:40 PM   #4

This site has a rundown: http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/con...mera-13994.htm I would like to see the 18X optical viewfinder they report though.

I don't like that they replaced the custom user settings with automatic stuff. Might be a decent camera. We won't know until some good reviews come out.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2007, 7:59 PM   #5

Slipe,
I agree. To much auto is not necessarilly a good thing unless it works well. Thanks for the info. Still it's a good thing to see companies trying to get a camera that can be sort of competitive with the SLRs. It's not ever going to be a dslr but it opens the door to another option somewhere in between at a more reasonable cost. It will take me two years to figure out how to work everything on it and then there will be the next generation. What a great hobby.
Eharrim
Old Jul 24, 2007, 8:54 PM   #6

I would probably be waiting in line if they had put a hot shoe on the thing. At lease a flash sync connector socket – that shouldn't be too difficult and not put off the point and shoot crowd too much. They could even hide the socket in the accessory panel with the other connections so the P&S aficionados couldn't even see it and be frightened off. If they opened the panel they might think it was something that connected to their iPod.

I can somewhat understand why they might eliminate the hot shoe as it would suggest to a buyer that the internal flash needed help. And it would affect the pocketability of small cameras. But a sync connector should be on every camera IMO.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2007, 9:11 PM   #7

Yeah, you would think with all that technology they are putting into the super zooms they would have a hot shoe on the camera. For myself it's not such a big deal, I do mostly outside daylight shooting but for someone who spends a lot of time at indoor functions it falls short of what you would expect from a top end point and shoot type camera if you can call it that. I'm sure that will be one of the cons in the reviews that will be coming out shortly. Like yourself I'm still waiting to see more info and photos on the quality of the zoom at the full 18X. I see they have a ridiculous high ISO setting in keeping up with the 550. I think that is a waste of time unless you enjoy looking at terrible picture quality. Time and money would have been better spent putting on your hot shoe which has practicality to it. With a lot of the super zooms having color fringing, noise, focus, and other issues I am going to hold back my enthusiasm until I see the results. Still it's always fun to see new cameras come out that promise the world to us at a quarter of the cost of a dslr.
Eharrim