Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 26, 2007, 1:23 AM   #1

I need a recommendation on a camera body and possibly a lens although I think I will probably go with this: http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...mp;navigator=3

My budget is around $1000 U.S.D. This is going to be for personal use, basically caputuring "life birds" whenever possible for the memories.

I can get that lens for close to $600 new I think.

I am not opposed to buying second hand, but do not know where to look. It seems like ebay is a huge dissapointment. I always see a good deal and then it is swarmed and suddenly it is not such a good deal.

I like the quality of these pics and hope that with a setup I could achieve similar results: http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...14/ppuser/4913

Thanks in advance for ideas.
chupicabra30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2007, 12:16 PM   #2

Is that $1000 including that Sigma lens? If so, probably the only DSLR you could get would be the Pentax K110D. It's a decent enough camera, but not exactly ideal.

If the $1000 is just for the camera and additional lenses besides the Sigma, I'd look at the Pentax K10D. It's a very feature rich camera with built-in stabilization so you should be able to get sharper photos in more situations than with any other camera.

If you wanted to go with a Canon or Nikon, you'd want to go for a stabilized lens. I don't know what your best options would be in that regard, but they'd likely cost a lot more than the lens you're looking at.

Of course, stabilization isn't an issue if you intend to use a tripod, but often times using a tripod isn't the most desirable solution in certain situations, and being able to do both effectively is a valuable advantage.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 12:38 PM   #3

http://birdforum.net is nice!
I prefer the images found at http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB2/index.php forum :-)
Main site: http://www.naturescapes.net/

Trouble is as a side hobby I could not afford the equipment many of the people there are using for their birding. :?
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 2:46 PM   #4

Corpsy wrote:
Quote:
Is that $1000 including that Sigma lens? If so, probably the only DSLR you could get would be the Pentax K110D. It's a decent enough camera, but not exactly ideal.

If the $1000 is just for the camera and additional lenses besides the Sigma, I'd look at the Pentax K10D. It's a very feature rich camera with built-in stabilization so you should be able to get sharper photos in more situations than with any other camera.

If you wanted to go with a Canon or Nikon, you'd want to go for a stabilized lens. I don't know what your best options would be in that regard, but they'd likely cost a lot more than the lens you're looking at.

Of course, stabilization isn't an issue if you intend to use a tripod, but often times using a tripod isn't the most desirable solution in certain situations, and being able to do both effectively is a valuable advantage.
Tripod is not a problem and yes I would like to be able to get the lens and camera for the $1000. I have a Lowepro Slingshot 100 AW camera bag for it and will most likely be able to get the memory for free not to mention an extra battery.

Thanks.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 3:02 PM   #5

I have noticed that ebay has a lot of Nikon D70s in the $400-$450 range shipped claiming they are mint. Is this a good deal? I might try to bid on one.

Thanks.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 3:07 PM   #6

Wouldn't you have to have a stabelized lens in addition to a stabelized camera body?

Thanks.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 4:51 PM   #7

chupicabra30 wrote:
Quote:
Wouldn't you have to have a stabelized lens in addition to a stabelized camera body?

Thanks.
You need either stabilization in the camera body OR stabilization in the lens - NOT both. So if you are budget minded, getting the Pentax or Sony Alpha with their in-camera stabilization (means that no matter what lens you put on it, it will be stabilized so you could pick up a less expensive, older long lens) normally works out cheaper than getting a Nikon or a Canon with a long stabilized lens.

P.S. - I shoot with a Pentax K100 and use a 300mm lens that is probably 10 years old - the SR works great with it!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 6:29 PM   #8

I'm really confused! I have you all telling me to pretty much buy Pentax and then the other board are telling me to buy the Canon XTi. :?
Old Jul 26, 2007, 7:28 PM   #9

chupicabra30 wrote:
Quote:
I'm really confused! I have you all telling me to pretty much buy Pentax and then the other board are telling me to buy the Canon XTi. :?
I'll confuse things more.

Olympus makes cameras with a 2x multiplier (vs 1.5 or 1.6) to get the 35mm equivalent field of view. That would lead to an equivalent of 800mm with the Sigma lens you mentioned. That would be 600mm with the 1.5x camera (Nikon, Pentax, Sony) or 640mm with the Canon xti. They make great wildlife cameras.

There are a couple of discontinued cameras that can be purchased new. The E500 is a great camera in good light. The E330 is also a possibility to find new stock remaining. These cameras don't do as well at high ISO than the competitors (E500 more so than the E330) or their newly released E410/E510 cameras. I've purchased form Buydig and they have both these available, the E500 w/14-45 & 40-150 f3.5-4.5 for $563 or the E330 body for $476. These are both tremendous deals. I started with the E500 2 lens kit and both are good lenses. In fact the 40-150 is a nice lens.

Below are a couple of pics made with the E500 and 40-150.

fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 9:00 PM   #10

fldspringer wrote:
Quote:
I'll confuse things more.

Olympus makes cameras with a 2x multiplier (vs 1.5 or 1.6) to get the 35mm equivalent field of view. That would lead to an equivalent of 800mm with the Sigma lens you mentioned. That would be 600mm with the 1.5x camera (Nikon, Pentax, Sony) or 640mm with the Canon xti. They make great wildlife cameras.
The lens doesn't work with Olympus. If you know a similar lens that is available for Olympus then please let us know, I think the E510 would be a nice camera with it's stabilization.

The reason Pentax is the most suggested is because for your lens choice and budget it's the only option that includes stabilization. When shooting at 600mm equivalent on a camera without stabilization hand-held, you need to shoot at least 1/600 second to avoid blur. With stabilization on a camera like the K100D, 1/200 would likely be more than fast enough (I'm kinda guessing, I haven't tried anything longer than about 420mm equivalent). If you can use shutter speeds that are 3x longer, that means you only need 1/3 as much light, and can therefore get better results when shooting in the shade, around dawn or dusk and in overcast conditions.

If you expand your budget a bit you can look at the Pentax K10 and the Sony A100, both of which have stabilization, but from what I can tell the K10 is superior in pretty much every way.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote