Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 27, 2007, 11:29 AM   #1

I am debating between two cameras

Canon PowerShot SD400

Canon Powershot A530

I take pictures of my borther racing cars so I want something that takes pictures farely fast so that I can get the action shots. Are either one of these good for that or is there a different one that is in the same price range.

J

Jaymers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2007, 2:01 PM   #2

Personally I'd prefer a much longer telephoto range than either of those cameras provide.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2007, 3:07 PM   #3

Do you have a camera in mind that provides that?
Old Jul 27, 2007, 4:09 PM   #4

Jaymers,

Some questions for you:
  1. What type of racing - i.e. what cars and what level?[/*]
  2. Where will you be photographing from?[/*]
  3. What types of shots are you looking to get?
[/*]
These are important questions. For instance, cars coming directly at you at 200mph can give the best DSLRs on the market problems. More often you'll see many photographers get shots at the corners where cars are moving a bit slower.

Your shooting location is also hugely important to success.

Finally, your expected results are important. You're not going to spend $250 and get magazine quality shots. But by the same token, it's silly to spend $5000 on a solution when all you want is a couple snapshots.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2007, 4:16 PM   #5

It is off road racing so they are not diriving that fast, i mainly take shots at the finish line where there is a large jumb, I dont need a magazine quality. i just like to take snapshots for my own personal use. other than those pictures I just like to take fun pictures with my friends, that i why i was looking at the powershot, it is small and easy to keep in my purse.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 4:30 PM   #6

OK,

that puts things in perspective. There are two challenges you're going to face in selecting a digicam then:

1. Size. Unless you're like 30' away you'll want something like a 10x zoom camera. Those are typically a bit bigger and bulkier. Which means they won't easily fiit into your purse. I'm not sure there's a good compromise on this point. I think most cameras that fit easily in your purse are going to be 3x-4x zooms. I'm not aware of any 8x-10x zooms that are that small.

2. Low light. On overcast days you may find you need to shoot at higher ISOs to get a decent shot of a moving car - even one only going 40mph. If you want shots in those conditions that will narrow down the field of cameras quite a bit. If you're OK with limiting your RACING shots to mostly sunny days then you have a wider selection of cameras to choose from.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2007, 5:24 PM   #7

For the racing shots you describe I could do a lot better with the A530. You can pre-focus where the cars will be as they cross the finish line. Set the WB on daylight or cloudy. Manually meter to something that will reflect the situation with the cars crossing the finish line. Without any decisions to make the shutter response will be very fast. Almost instant if you half-press first.

You don't need super shutter speeds if you are following the car with the camera or "panning". The background might have motion blur, but most racing photographers try to get that in their shots to give the feeling of speed rather than have the car seemingly suspended.

The A530 is a better general purpose camera also. The greater zoom range and larger sensor give very good photos. And it works fine in full automatic. The only downside is the size. If it is too big to carry everywhere you will get more photos with the smaller camera.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2007, 5:51 PM   #8

With the A530 does it take the pictures fast like action shots.