Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 29, 2007, 2:30 PM   #1

Hello there. I've been searching for a point-and-shoot camera with manual controls for a long, long time. I'm still waiting for an A6XX with IS... but oh well.

I hear A 570 IS is the best A-series camera at the moment, but if that's true, why isn't it onSteve's Best Cameras list?

Is it similar to G7?
Thank you.
Drama Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2007, 6:00 PM   #2

i waited for IS for a long time, then gave in and ended up going with the A620 due to the features. it changed my entire perception of digital photography and i've been happier ever since - but broker since the A620 led to the fuji S9100 which led to the canon 30D

none of them have IS but what i learned with the A620 was that speeding up your shutter speed can take care of most IS problems without harming the pic quality. it even works on the fuji with a 10.7times zoom. in a real pinch, i carry a small tripod in my car but have never had to resort to it (yet).

personally i wouldn't compare the G7 with an A series camera, but the A series was actually more useful for me.

are you in a location where you can order from bh or amazon? they both have good return policies, so if you buy the A570IS and don't love it, you can return it. one warning about returns at bh, though - your camera must have shot less than 200 pics.

pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 9:25 PM   #3

Drama Queen wrote:
Quote:
Hello there. I've been searching for a point-and-shoot camera with manual controls for a long, long time. I'm still waiting for an A6XX with IS... but oh well.

I hear A 570 IS is the best A-series camera at the moment, but if that's true, why isn't it onSteve's Best Cameras list?

Is it similar to G7?
Thank you.
What do you mean by "the best A-series camera at the moment"? I'd guess for image quality that might be 630/640, for zoom 710, but for all-round, maybe the 570. I bought one for my daughter 2 weeks ago. I shot 'a roll' (20 or 30 shots or so) to ensure it worked, and thought it was pretty nice. I bought it mail order by about $190.
DigitalNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2007, 7:34 PM   #4

thank you!
Old Aug 4, 2007, 10:07 PM   #5

Drama Queen-

Surely the Canon A-570IS is a great camera for it price, now around $180 on the internet. Yes, you certainly can opt for the more competent Canon A-710IS with 6X optical zoom, but the price will go upwards accordingly as well.

Perhaps it is time to take a deep breath and to truly resolve what are your priorities. If minimal cost is a priority, then the Canon A-570IS represents something of a bargain. There is also the Kodak Z-885 which offers 5X optical zoom and sells for around $160 on the internet as an alternative. There is also the Kodak Z-712 which offers 12X optical zoom as well as Image Stabilization at around $250 on the internet, should you desire more optical zoom. And should you desire to remain with Canon, there is the Canon S-3 with 12X opitical zoom and Image Stabilization, selling for around $280 on the internet.

However, at some point in time you must make a decision. But then, perhaps no decision is required, only you know that. I have attached a Kodak Z-885 image for your consideration. Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2007, 8:06 AM   #6

How about the SXIS series? Aren't they considered as point-and-shoot or are they semi-DSLR?
animasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2007, 7:51 PM   #7

Anima, my sister owns one of those cameras and it's too big for me.

Sarah, I do appreciate the pictures you've been posting. Thank you.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 10:13 PM   #8

However, Drama Queen-

Won't you please let s all know the camera of your choice. Mine certainly is the Canon A-570IS followed by the Canon A-710IS. Please let us know your very unique and individualized mystrery camera, won't you, please. Thanks! Most probably your choice no longer matters very much. And quite honestly, I really don't care very much because you have chosen consistently not to answer my posts. But then I am willing to give you the extra, extra chance for you to chip in here. last chance here girl.

Sarah Joyce.

Old Aug 5, 2007, 10:28 PM   #9

Drama Queen-

Because of your failure to reply, you are on VERY thin ice girl.

Sarah Joyce

Old Aug 6, 2007, 2:36 PM   #10

mtclimber, I replied to all of your posts so far.

However, I haven't chosen my camera yet, hence I've been visiting this forum recently.